2003 Matrix XRS - Is 87 octane fuel alright?

I just bought a 2003 Matrix XRS, only to find out after the purchase that it is recommended to use premium gas in it (It seems the dealer had the sticker on the window for the regular Matrix).

I'm not looking to race anyone, so I don't really care if I don't get the performance out of the engine that I should.

I'm looking to make sure I don't destroy my engine if I use Regular gasoline in the XRS. Can I put Regular in the car without a damage worry? Also, how much do you believe my gas mileage will drop using Regular vs. Premium?

Opinions, thoughts, and comments are greatly appreciated.

Reply to
maxsteele

i think you will find that premium is not 'recommended', but 'required'. the better mileage will pay for the price difference. that's the way it works on my corolla XRS. the ignition timing gets retarded when the knock sensor hears any detonation, causing poor fuel mileage. i don't know what the mileage is expected for the matrix xrs but my corolla xrs gets 34 as an overall, for me. good luck, sammmm

Reply to
SAMMM

I'll second what SAMMM said and say he is 100% correct.

Bob in HB

Reply to
rsbrownhb