MATRIX fuel consuption

A colleague of mine has 2005 Matrix with automatic transmission and 13000 km on it. He is averaging at 10 Liters per 100 km in summer and 15 Liters per

100 km in the winter. He is doing 60/40 highway/city. He complained to the dealer, and they say it is normal. I suspect it is not normal, as I am doing a better mileage on my 1995 Honda Odyssey. Anybody has the same problem with Matrix? Anyone with Matrix in Canada, can you tell me what's your fuel comsumption average? Toyota experts, is it normal? Thanks,
Reply to
Vadim

According to the U.S. EPA fuel economy estimates, for the 2005 Matrix with automatic transmission:

Front wheel drive economy is between 6.9 and 10.2 liters per 100 KM, with the average being 8.4.

All-wheel drive economy is between 9.4 and 11.2 liters per 100 KM, with the average being 10.4

Assuming that there are not huge differences between U.S. and Canadian specs, and depending on which version your friend has, it sounds like your colleague's summer fuel consumption is within the predicted range. There are several possible reasons for the poorer winter results. People with remote starters who warm up their cars before driving off will get much poorer economy, as will people with a heavy foot, who make short trips, who carry a lot of cargo or passengers, or who get stuck in bad traffic a lot. On a small vehicle, even something as simple as a ski rack will make a difference in fuel consumption.

Reply to
Ray O

I've had my 06 Matrix for about 6 weeks now. Consumption has varied between 6.4 l/100 and 8 l/100.

Note I have no a/c, standard transmission, and 60% highway driving.

/M

Reply to
Moro Grubb of Little Delving

Today's top-up (gas price is always best on Wednesdays ;-): 307kms on 20.2 liters. So 6.58 l/100 (or 43 miles per imperial gallon)

Mostly highway driving (but not especially frugally...)

/M I'm in BC, so this is a Canadian Matrix.

Reply to
Moro Grubb of Little Delving
10 l/100km sounds pretty low. We have a US Pontiac Vibe rather than a Canadian Matrix, but the cars are virtual twins with the same drivetrain and most other components. Highway gas consumption has been under 6 l/100km and suburban driving has been just a little over 7 l/100 km.
Reply to
peter