Mazda B2600 question

I have a 92 mazda b2600 that I have owned for a few years.

I have a problem whereby the truck loses power, bucks, and sputters frequently.

I have just replaced plugs, wires, distributer cap, rotor button.

Fuel pressure is 22 p

Any ideas?

I know this is toyota forum.

Reply to
Devils Advocate

A bit more information would be helpful. Did this begin suddenly? Does it only misfire under load, acceleration, speed, ect., what conditions? Mileage, filter changes, repair history? Who checked the fuel pressure? It's fifteen years old and it could be one or many things.

Reply to
user

Go to a Mazda forum.

Funny, you don't act like it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Ongoing for several months if not a year. Happened last year, and chance distributer cap, and seems to resolve issue.

Does

More so when accelerating. However, does happen under most conditions.

226,000kms. New fuel filter. Regular tune ups. Original computer. New gas tank with old fuel pump (pressure 22p).

Who checked the fuel pressure? Mechanic. The fuel filter was removed when checked.

Yeah, but finding a mechanic that will not do trial and error at my cost is not my first option.

Reply to
Devils Advocate

Nobody can analyze a problem in a NG. I would suggest the vehicle be hooked up to be analyzed to determine the cause.

I would take it to a Ford dealer, Ford built your truck, at their Metuchen NJ plant. The shop rates are generally $10 to $15 an hour lower at Ford dealers than Mazda dealers. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Ford did not build my truck. I had to to mazda once, and they change to distributer cap, which was a very temporary solution.

Reply to
Devils Advocate

It could be a coil or coils going bad. That is just a guess, but coils can fail or be intermittent under engine load along with heat.

Reply to
user

"Sputtering" generally is caused by loss of spark or fuel. Did you use OEM ignition parts or aftermarket?

I'm not sure what the fuel specification is at idle and at higher RPM, but

22 PSI sounds a little low for a fuel injected vehicle. I would check the specification.

While you are trying to figure out what is going on, try a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel injection cleaner and see if it makes a difference.

Also, check the usual suspects: air filter, intake tubing between the air filter housing and throttle body, and manifold vacuum.

Reply to
Ray O

Just came from Mazda Dealer and they said, it could be fuel pump because pressure should be 40 psi, not 22. Secondly could be distributer causing problems. They say it could take 1-4 hours to diagnose, then more hours to repair.

ouch!

Imput?

Reply to
Devils Advocate

I thought 22 PSI was a little low, which is why I mentioned that it should be checked. Proper diagnosis entails hooking up a fuel pressure gauge to measure pressure, and then measuring fuel volume delivered in a beaker. You could also have a clogged fuel filter or fuel pump pickup screen.

I suspect that you have both a fuel delivery problem that is causing reduced performance but not the bucking, and an ignition problem is causing the bucking.

1-4 hours to properly diagnose seems reasonable to me.
Reply to
Ray O

22 psi is low, and should be 40 psi according to mazda dealer. I will need a new fuel pump installed.

You

Fuel pressure was done w/o fuel filter hooked up. Will be installing new fuel pump as well.

According to mazda, the low fuel pressure can cause the truck to run sluggish, and back fire.....in other word run like a bag of dirt. I'm not convinced the fuel pump is causing all my problems. I guess I'll know when I change it. I will update you at that time.

At about 75 dollars canadian, I'm not sure if that's feasible for a diagnosis which still may be wrong.

I can do the trial and error myself.

plugs, wires, distributer cap, rotor button already installed. fuel pump and fuel filter next.

Reply to
Devils Advocate

Prime example of how one can save money by have one problem properly diagnosed before changes parts.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I have already paid Mazda several months back for the exact issue, and they improperly diagnosed the problem.

Reply to
Devils Advocate

Did the Mazda dealer install the plugs, wires, distributor cap, and distributor rotor? If not, what brand parts are installed?

Reply to
Ray O

Yes Mazda dealer installed distributer cap/rotor button, but had to replaced it again the other day with Canadian tire product. The name escapes me now........it's orange and white box. To be honest, I'm not convinced that either the rotor button, cap, wires were causing any issue. I changed the plugs because they were satched with gas due to flooding it trying to start it numerous times. (it was parked and not started for about 3 months or less)

I intend to have the fuel pump replaced next week. Hoping for the best! Cost of fuel pump is $200.00 (garage cost), not OEM) I will also be having the unit redone at cost of $100.00. The add installation on top of that.

Reply to
Devils Advocate

I told you to take it to a Ford. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Ford know nothing about a japanese mazda, not to mention I wouldn't take a wheelbarrow to ford.

Cheers

Reply to
Devils Advocate

If your truck is not a Ford Ranger, than it must be one very old truck, built back when Mazda was making small trucks in Japan for Ford, out of the B1600. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Ford took over Mazda in 1994. At that time, the mazda turn into one heap of junk. My truck is a 1992.

Reply to
Devils Advocate

I think you would have been better off staying with the Mazda branded ignition parts instead of aftermarket, but don't change them unless you still have the old parts.

Also check the ignition coil function.

Reply to
Ray O