Member Search

Where the heck is Ray O and qslim? Did they take a sabbatical? Hope all is well.

Reply to
user

I'm back!

My wife is from Maine, so we visited her relatives. While we were not visiting relatives, we got some great food and took in some sights.

We took a short drive through Mount Desert Island, Acadia National Park, and Cadillac Mountain - rock climbing is allowed so Acadia definitely merits a return trip!

Walked through Bar Harbor - Cadillac Mountain Outfitters has some cool outdoors gear!

Saw Stephen King's house in Bangor - the wrought iron gates have a spiderweb pattern.

Saw a moose sitting in the road after it got hit by a Grand Cherokee on a busy street in broad daylight in Bangor. Judging by the little damage to the Jeep, it just barely bumped the moose, so perhaps the moose was just stunned.

Walked around my brother-in-law's hunting camp - the Maine north woods are beautiful

We also went to our usual haunts...

Got to go to L.L. Bean in Freeport and Kittery Trading Post in Kittery - have been to both places many times, but those places are must-stops when I'm in southern Maine. Both places are meccas for people who spend a lot of time outdoors.

Went back to Ken's Seafood in Old Orchard Beach - in my wife's opinion, the best fried clams in southern Maine.

Went back to Rapid Ray's (no relation), a Saco, ME destination for hot dogs and clam cakes.

Rented a 2007 Altima - liked the auto-stick feature and smart key where you just push a button to start and stop the engine. Compared to my Lexus, the handling is a little darty so you have to work more to keep it between the lines on the highway, the brakes are a little grabby, and there is lots of engine/road noise. The sportiness makes the car fun but a little tiring to drive on long trips. (I must be getting old).

Reply to
Ray O

Ray (and others) - I don't know whether you're familiar with the lore about Cadillac Mountain, but it's said that if you're the only person at the top of Cadillac Mountain at daybreak, due to its location, you'll be the first person to greet the dawn in the US ! Kind of a neat trick.

Reply to
mack

Hmm, that requires getting up before dawn! Maybe I'll try that the next trip!

Reply to
Ray O

I'm more of a night owl than an early riser, I'm more apt to stay up all night to watch the sunrise than wake up early!

Reply to
Ray O