Mileage expectancy??

I have a 1988 Corolla FX with 123 000 + miles; bought new, kept in good repair, preventive maintenance done, no major repairs ever. I want to get some estimate of how much longer I can expect it, or count on it, to last

-- defining "last" in either of two ways.

How long till it requires some major repair that will cost more than the vehicle is worth? How long till it ceases to be reparable and has to go to the scrap iron dealer?

(I'm no mechanic, btw; I just always try to find a good reliable non-dealer mechanic near where I live, and take it there.)

Reply to
Beartooth

That would be like someone on this newsgroup predicting how long you will live simply by your age.

Reply to
Mark A

I would suggest that a brake job and new muffler added at the same time would exceed the value of the car. My point is, I'm not sure youir definition is valid -- virtually any repair at this juncture will cost more than the car is worth, but I see no point in scrapping it based on this benchmark.

The benchmark I prefer is where you can do a repair and continue to enjoy the use of the vehicle for a period longer than it takes to recover the cost. I recently paid $2000 to repair the transmission on a $1200 1993 minivan. The vehicle is in otherwise very good condition, and sinking two grand into it is cheaper than buying a new vehicle, and I expect to get a long life of enjoyment going forward. In my case, the interior is in great conditiion, the motor is strong, the suspension components are in good shape. I have no concern that there is any impending failure that would suggest that repairing the transmission was a bad choice.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

158,643 more miles That was a hard number to pull out my ass.
Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

FX, or FX-16.

If it's an FX-16, I think you can expect a major failure any second now, and should unload the car as quick as you can. For a mere $125, I will take it off your hands, and you can stop worrying!!!

(Of course, everyone here knows I'm looking for a 4A-GE engine to put in my Corolla GT-S...)

Seriously, if you have the FX-16 with the 4A-GE engine, you needn't worry if you have done the oil changes, etc. I have 258,000 on mine and it is JUST showing signs of wear.

Reply to
Hachiroku

He will live 7 more years. I can tell that by his writing style.

Reply to
Art

If driven normally and changed oil regularly and trans fluids as well it will last a lot longer. I would say it will make it to twice the amount of miles you have now. Ofcourse you will get rapairs over time needed, but it will still be alot cheaper than replacing the car. I've heard some amazing stories about how many miles they can go.

Reply to
RT

who knows. it could last another 18 years and 123k miles, or it could crap out tomorrow.

if you want SOME kind of idea of how much useful life the engine may have, get a compression check done, and compare it to the "service" spec.

Reply to
SoCalMike