Odd problem - 92 Corolla

I have a '92 Corolla 2-wheel drive wagon that lately has developed a mystery problem. I've had two pro mechanics test for it, but so far no definite answers. After I drive a hundred miles or so and turn off the motor, the starter will not re-engage even though the clutch is down fully when I turn the key. Then after an hour or so it starts immediately, and always does so when the motor is cold, or after short hops. The battery is up to full charge - I've even had a jump start when the car was experiencing the problem, but no go. All the wires have been checked to see if they're loose. One mechanic suggested the fault might be in the device that allows electricity to flow to the starter when the pedal is fully depressed. It's maddening! Has anyone a suggestion, or a solution, please?

Reply to
Bobcat

Sounds like the starter contacts are worn. Common problem on older Toyotas.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Thanks. Tomorrow I'm taking the car to one of those mechanics I mentioned, and I'll show him your useful suggestion and others people may send.

Reply to
Bobcat

As High Tech Misfit suggested, the contacts in the starter relay may be worn, and it is simple enough to check whether current is flowing from the relay when the condition is present. It is also easy to check continuity through the clutch safety switch when the condition is present.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks. I'm printing out your suggestion and High Tech Misfit's and showing them to my mechanic when I see him tomorrow. My problem is in your phrase "when the condition is present". By the time he got to where my car was stalled yesterday, it started up when he tried it, and it'll probably do that when I take it in to him. I'm hoping he can find the problem when the starter is working.

Reply to
Bobcat

Reply to
Ray O

Whether the cause is the clutch safety switch or the starter relay, current flow will probably be marginal all the time and so they can be tested with a multi-meter.

Reply to
Ray O

OK, thanks for that. Bobcat

Reply to
Bobcat

You're welcome! Let us know what the problem turns out to be.

Reply to
Ray O

Will do. I need the car tomorrow and Wednesday, but armed with what you folk have said I'll probably see my mechanic on Thursday, whether or not the starter is functioning. It's working perfectly - for now, but I'm only making short hops in the city. Unfortunately I never know when it'll stall - maddening!

Reply to
Bobcat

Hi again - Here's an additional note. Last night my next door neighbour dropped off a Haynes Toyota Corolla repair manual he didn't need any more because he sold his Corolla, about the age of mine. He'd done his own repairs, and when I described my problem of the starter failing after long trips he immediately said he though he knew what it was. When the starter gets old, the insulation on the windings deteriorates, and after heat builds under the hood on long trips, the starter fails to operate until it cools down. He said he'd recommend having my mechanic test for this, and if it's the problem, order a rebuilt starter - the new ones from Toyota are very expensive for such an old car as mine. How does this sound to you people? Thanks; Bobcat

Reply to
Bobcat

The scenario your neighbor described is possible although I've never heard of that happening on a Toyota. Standard starting system diagnosis by a competent technician should reveal the cause of the problem.

BTW, Toyota genuine parts do not become more expensive as the car they are intended for ages. I've heard of people having to return aftermarket rebuilt starters numerous times to get one that works. Toyota remanufactured starters undergo 100% bench testing and I have not heard any complaints about their quality.

Reply to
Ray O

Got you, Ray. Your reply goes into the file to take to my serviceman. Thanks.

Reply to
Bobcat

I'm sure your serviceman is going to love advice from some guy on the internet ;-)

Good luck on the repair - let us know what he finds.

Reply to
Ray O

I won't hit him with the file - I'll paraphrase what you and others have said. The file's for me to look over in the car before I go in to see him! :>)

Will do, for sure. Bobcat

Reply to
Bobcat

thanks!

Reply to
Ray O

This might apply....

YMMV

Reply to
NickySantoro

Thanks. I've printed it out. Bobcat

Reply to
Bobcat

Your solution should be to replace the starter... Iknow it sucks but toyotas do wear out from time to time...I just had this problem with my 86 pickup w/

212,000 miles...some time it would start....Sometimes not... It depends on where the armetuor (I think that is spelled wrong) lands when starter stops spinning, In laymens terms you have a flat spot on the armetuor & the brushes dont make full contact.. if you want to test my theroy the next time it does it. "pop" the hood & tap "lightly " on the back of the starter and hit the key it should take off

Next step would be ebay for a new (used) starter hope this helps......Rod

Bobcat wrote:

Reply to
toyotafreak via CarKB.com

I can not read the OP? but the magnetic switch in the starter and the ignition switch could act like that too.

Reply to
Danny G.