decision time

I've narrowed my choices down to two vehicles...

The tacoma, 4L crew cab, trd offroad with towing package, or the gmc

5.3L sierra, crew cab SLE

Yah, pretty big difference...

Always loved the tacoma, but always liked a full size pickup.

Ford F150 -- had an 08, its on its way out, its junk, too many issues Dodge Ram -- too hard on fuel, poor resale, unsure of the reliability Tundra -- just not my cup of tea, surely a good truck, but not in my driveway ford ranger -- junk, chevys little POS -- overpriced for what it is problem prone...

Some concerns I have about stepping down in to a tacoma, and maybe someone here can comment...

Biggest one is the roomyness of the fullsize truck. Chev's are very comfortable trucks to drive, and fairly good on fuel.. even with compared to the compact tacoma. i drove a ford ranger for 2 years before my F150, and i think my back hurt every night going to bed after about the first 3 months of driving it...

Second one is towing... chev is rated at 8500, and the tacoma at 6500 w/ towing package with in itself is very impressive...

Thing i'm not sure of and maybe someone can comment, is the reliability on the chev end... i'm just not sure its going to be close to where toyota has taken the tacoma.

i've had the chance to drive a dodge ram for 1 month + and the same on the chev... love both both vehicles, but they are new... the reliability didn't have time to shnie through there.

Big trucks are hard on fuel, and hard on tires... i'm thinking the tacoma might be easier on both.

Anyway, help me make up my mind on these two very different vehicles..

And no, I don't tow a 5th wheel, or a camper of any sort, and not even sure i have immediate plans to do so.

its a commuter vehicle.

Reply to
Picasso

go green. or is this an ego thing?

Reply to
someone

How do you expect us to help you decide on two totally differant kinds of vehicles ?

Are you going to use it to drive to work and just haul a few things or use it like a real truck ? You need to decide that first.

I drive about 18 miles to work each day. I get about 24 miles to the gallon. I decided on the Tacoma extended cab in 2007 and bought a new one then. The

4 cylinder modle. I do not tow anything. I have loaded the bed level with firewood a few times. I would not want to drive it every day with a load like that, but for 2 or 3 trips a year it was ok. I seldom use it like a truck but it does come in handy to haul big bulky items home from the store.

As a guy at work said, if you want a real truck get one with an 8 foot bed. You can lay a piece of plywood flat in it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

[snipperoo]

What kind of parking can you count on??

Reply to
BeartoothHOS

The Ford Ranger is a compact pickup. The Tacoma was a compact. It grew to mid-size after the 2005 redesign. Go for a test drive at the Toyota dealer. Make sure the test truck is the same model you are interested in (i.e. TRD double cab). Play with the lumbar support knob. Try out the back seats. You should be able to tell right away if the seats are comfortable and if the cab is large enough for your needs.

Will you be towing a heavy trailer at the hitch or not? The Taco is relatively light at 4000 lbs. So while the powertrain and brakes can handle a 6500-lb trailer, handling may be more challenging compared to a Sierra.

According to JDPower, reliability is about equal for both, at 3 stars.

The study is based on surveys of 3-year-old vehicles (i.e. those purchased in 2007). See press release:

First of One

Well thanks, this is the kind of info i have been searching for.

Style, size, power, towing i lean towards the gmc sierra, but i don't need the towing, thats for sure. Thing is, spending 30k on a truck i want all the options it can give.

fuel economy, and hopefully reliability and reduced repair makes me lean on the tacoma.

I plan on keeping this thing for 10 years and I am just not sure I will be suited with the repair bill on the GMC after the first good 5 is out of it... but i might be wrong!

Plus the tacoma gives me that little bit of extra fuel economy which isn't as important now with gas "down" but perhaps in 3 years when she jumps 40% again it may be.

i'm buying a truck for 10 years, not a lease for 3...

Anyway, I wish the dealer would let me keep a tacoma for a weekend... like I said, i've long term test driven a silverado and a dodge 1/2ton, and currently own a ford f150.

thanks for the links

Reply to
Picasso

my 0.02 worth I drove full size trucks chevys/gmcs 4x4 and 5.3 liter engines. When i bought my tacoma it was because they gave me best deal. this was in april of 08 when gas was 4.00 + a gallon. Do i miss the full size of a truck YES, BUT i love the tacoma. My truck is a daily driver and I dont use it to tow or haul, I just have always owned trucks. I am the type of truck owner that ppl love to get a hold when i sell, as i do the maint. faithfully and trade or sale with low mileage. I have a 08 double cab 4x4 sr5 trd and for me the room in it is just right for the wife and me. PLUS tacoma has a higher resale value.

Reply to
Charles H.

All good points. Prior to my F150, I had a ranger which i think for those 2 years i owned it gave me constant back pain... after the f150, it was no longer an issue. I'm not tall, only about 6', but the ranger seating just didn't fit me. How do you find the TRD seating. I know its not going to compare to the GM, but is it at least comfortable long term? I can't find this out from a 30 minute test drive, and i can't find a tacoma to rent here anywhere for a weekend.

The ranger was so rough, i tried changing the springs, all shocks, thought about changing seats but couldn't find anything much better... looking back they should sell those trucks with a kidney belt.

Whats your difference in fuel mileage? I've been using info from

and for every vehicle i've ever checked its been very close to actual.

Reply to
Picasso

The plural of anecdote is not data, but fwiw my 1988 corolla hatchback, with a little over 125K miles, and routine preventive maintenance, has never had a major repair. It ran like a top yesterday.

My impression has long been that Toyotas have a name for lasting well -- I hear of ones with 200K miles. That's cars, too, not just trucks.

Reply to
BeartoothHOS

I only put a little over 190 K miles on a 91 Camry. Outside of minor things like break pads and lightbulbs that normally just wear out, the only nonscheduled item was a sensor that went out that cost around $ 1200 by the time the Toyota dealer replaced the correct one. They replaced several others and charged me for their incompendance. Even the airconditioner still worked fine without any repairs.

I bought a 2007 Tacoma 2 wheel drive with the extended cab. It rides very well . About the longest trip I have made with it was around 100 miles and I drive it to work every day. Get around 24 miles per gallon with the 4 cylinder. I do not use it like a truck very often,but have hauled a cople of loads of wood with it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

seating, to me is comfy i have leather seats in mine. mileage ranges from 18-21 mpg my driving is mostly 55 mph except through aboutn 3 miles where its 35, and not really stop n go either

Reply to
Charles H.

Reply to
Jimr