Need to know where the 2000 Sienna O2 Oxygen sensors are

1/ Check engine light came on.

2/ Private mechanic let me hook up his gizmo to read out what the problem was.

3/ Readout was something like this [from memory, but the B1S1 is accurate for sure]

B1S1 O2 SENSOR B1S1 SHORT or OPEN IN HEATER CIRCUIT

4/ I paid $211 for the part, + labor. He reset the check engine light with the code reader gizmo.

5/ Now, maybe 50 miles later, the check engine light is back on.

6/ Can anyone point me to a resource on the net which tells or shows the locations of all 3 or 4 sensors, B1, B2, S1 and S2 ? I was unable to find same with Google. The mechanic said he knew B1S1 was the one in the middle of the exhaust manifold, closest to the radiator, "by experience". I fear he was mistaken.

7/ A good online source of sensors would be welcome too - my plan is the buy the right one at a discount and have him put it in for free. I doubt he will be able to take the newly installed one back for refund.

TIA, QE in NJ

Reply to
QuienEs

B1 refers to the cylinder bank that the sensor resides in. Bank 1 always contains cylinders 1,3,5, and so on. Bank 2 has 2,4,6, etc. In your sienna bank 1 is the bank in the rear of the engine compartment. The way to determine this is by looking at the intake runners. The first runner will go either left or right to cylinder #1. Follow the first runner and you will see which side bank 1 is. This rule follows for all engines I've worked on.

S1 or S2 refers to the location of the sensor relative to the catalytic converter. Sensor 1 is in front of the cat, sensor 2 is behind. Thats about it.

So anyway, if the code was B1S1, then your technician replaced the wrong sensor. You should be looking at the one in the rear exhaust manifold.

Reply to
qslim