New Defective Tie Rod End?

How rough can the thread and locknut face machining be on a new tie rod end? I went through two sets of aftermarket ends which had rough machining - small surface cracks on the locknut face and the internal thread where the inner end bolts up. I am off base here or do these sound like defective parts?

Reply to
edge

edge wrote in news:1193090642.636143.120200 @i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

"Aftermarket"? Say no more.

Reply to
Tegger

Is it OK to clean up the threads with a thread die, AKA a nut with cleanser applied to it?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Moog - supposed to be O.E. replacement. Granted small cracks, but ever see anything like I described on a steering part?

Reply to
edge

Called "chasing the threads", I'd say "why not?".

Reply to
witfal

The surface cracks may just be cracks in the coating on the locknut. If both replacements look the same, I'd look at actual OEM. "OEM replacement" means that they will work in place of OEM, not the same thing as OEM.

Reply to
Ray O

edge wrote in news:1193101425.531805.243970 @v29g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

So? It's still aftermarket.

Spend the extra few bucks for true OEM. No "cracks" on OEM parts.

Personally, the integrity of my steering mechanism is far more important to me than saving $30 on a part. If your steering fails while your going 75mph on the highway, you may be involved in a hellacious collision.

Reply to
Tegger

In my experience, Moog makes quality suspension parts. I haven't seen any of these issues on Moog parts I've used. I have seen rough threads on remanufactured parts. I think they media blast them and then don't chase them afterwards. jor

Reply to
jor

Looking closer at these threads under 5X magnifier shows cracking and chipping and they are not uniform. So, it does not look like a thread chasing fix will do it. In the past I had good experience with Moog as well, maybe Federal Mogul got to them.

Reply to
edge

I think your right. I thought Moog would be an upgrade based my past experience with them and that the OEMs went out sooner than I thought at 40 K miles.

Reply to
edge