new RAV4

I was at the dealers getting the oil changed in my Highlander yesterday.

Since I haven't yet seen the redesigned RAV4 yet I decided to look while I was waiting.

The only one was a v-6 that was driving off the lot already sold. So I didn't get a chance to see it.

It was white and looked a whole lot like my Highlander for size in the quick look I got.

Ron

Reply to
ron

Lemme tell ya, the new RAV4 is N.I.C.E. It's much bigger on the inside than the old RAV4--I've had a chance to sit in both. Plus the interior of the new RAV4 has a look and feeling of luxury. I was very impressed.

Reply to
Built_Well

The 0-60 in the RAV is sick.. like 5.9 seconds for the v-6

Reply to
Dan J.S.

About the new RAV4...

I'm not totally excited that for 2006, the new bigger RAV4 switched its plant of assembly from Plant Zero (Tahara) to Plant 5 and Plant 6 (but those plants are quite good too).

Plant 5 is probably the "Toyota Auto Body Co., Ltd." plant in Kariya City, Aichi. And Plant 6 seems to be the "Toyota Motor Kyushu" plant on Japan's big southern island of Kyushu.

It's nice that the new bigger RAV4 enjoys the same city mileage as the Camry, at 24 mpg.

Parts content will be one-hundred percent Japanese, unlike the Tahara- and Tsutsumi-assembled Camrys which have 80 percent American parts.

Reply to
Built_Well

The Yahoo Rav4 group took a (not very scientific) poll and a majority of the respondents are disappointed with the new Rav. I like my smaller-sized Ravs. I was hoping for a similar size and weight package with incrementally better mileage and, maybe, performance in conventional power train and a hybrid option. I don't see why they thought a third-seat option was worth including. They've got the Highlander in that niche.

I have seen a couple on the roads. I don't particularly like the looks, especially the C-pillar and window treatment.

Some of that's just me, of course. For all I know, Toyota has really hit what the public wants and will sell all they can build with little or no discounting.

Some in the Yahoo Rav4 group have speculated that Scion will build something more like the old Rav4. If so, I'll certainly consider it.

***
Reply to
dh

No doubt I'll see my first one where particular SUVs congregate: in the median, wheels up.

Reply to
FanJet

I'm still hoping to see/sit in one before the 07 Highlander comes out.

From what spec sheets say there is a few hundred pounds less weight and a few (or less) inches difference with the Highlander. I am happy with the Highlander but I guess I use my wife's criteria of a new rig about every 3 or 4 years regardless of miles/condition.

thanks for comments

Ron

Reply to
ron

Really wish they had kept it more of an economy AWD -- more like the Subaru Forester. Making it bigger and more powerfull is killing the distinction between the models - RAV4, Highlander, and 4Rnr (even Sequoia). I don't think I'd want to two much of anything with either the RAV4 or the Highlander. I didn't realize they killed of the 5spd transmission in 06!

3rd row seating in all but the Sequoia is painful.
Reply to
Wolfgang

I am just curious, does the new RAV4 have bigger/similar size compared with Honda CR-V? I like to buy one, bu t could not decide which. have not seen the new RAV4 yet.

Reply to
wenmang

I recently purchased the new 5 seat version of the RAV4 V6.

The acceleration is more than adequate. I rate the 0-60mph time somewhere between 6 and 7 seconds. The biggest thrill comes accelerating from 40 to

80mph. I have yet to push it through a tight corner at full acceleration.

If you don't drive like a maniac (and I don't :-) ) the gas mileage is good. (Greater than 20mpg in mixed driving)

Space is important to me. It has more cargo space than the CRV or the Forester. Rear seat footroom is about the same as the CRV but greater than the Forester.

I have yet to take it off road. I don't want to get it dirty.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Lewis