Toyota RAV4

I am thinking of buying a Toyota RAV4 any comments?

Reply to
Tom Kirkpatrick

So am I. And I hate SUVs. That ought to give you a clue...

Reply to
hachiroku

I have owned mine for more than 4 years now, and I'm pretty sure that my next car will be a RAV 4, without any doubt.

"Tom Kirkpatrick" a écrit dans le message de news:9rZCe.1831$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

Reply to
Olmedo Monteverde

I was all set to buy one this past spring. I ended up with a Honda CR-V Special Edition. My teenage daughter will learn on it and eventually...2nd or 3rd year of college in 3-4 years...it will be her vehicle.

My thinking is that the CR-V is about 300 pounds heavier (safer) and holds more stuff. You get a little more for your money, although they are priced fairly close. The RAV is "cuter" but the CR-V is pretty good looking, especially the Special Edition. At the very least go test drive one. I did on a lark and ended up deciding that the CR-V was the better vehicle/value.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

I believe that an all new model will be out in several months. Our used 98 L, 4 door, is a bit narrow for large individuals but otherwise has been a joy to own.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

looking,

I am not so keen on Honda and they are a bear to work on and I belive the RAV4 will deliver better economy in a the real world with it higher tech engine and higher output per displacement. As far as safer I serious doubt about that as I have been in a nasty crash with a Toyota once, a 90 Camary. It totalled the car it hit and my car was intact from windsheild back and all four door were still perfectly aligned and functioned like new and cabin was intact and undamaged. Impact was between 40 and 50 mph too. Toyotas crash extremely well and though my car was totaled to it was still running after a frontal impact and was able to power itself on a trailer to be hauled off. Toyotas are BUILT TUFF.

Reply to
SnoMan

The RAV4 is a great vehicle. You might want to check our its two closest competitors, the Honda CRV and the Ford Escape as well. The Honda and the Escape are great dependable vehicles also and they all have a similar MSRP. The Honda CRV and the Escape are bigger than the RAV4. The Escape, at that price, has a V6 rather than a 4cy however. Perhaps that is why the Escape is by far the best seller in the segment. I would you suggest you drive all three to see which one best suits your needs and get a 'total drive home price,' not just a selling price, to see which best suits your budget. If saving the environment is important to you, the Escape is available as a hybrid.

mike hunt

Tom Kirkpatrick wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo

I love my 97 rav4 though I replaced the head end and speakers to improve sound over factory

Reply to
magnus

what kind of gas milage do you get, city/trip? How's the ride?

Reply to
Gentleman Jim

I replaced the rear shocks with monotube shocks from the OEM vender KYG, the results were excellent.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Make that KYB.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Nice vehicle. Decent power for a 4-banger, good economy for an SUV-style vehicle, nice high seating position, plenty of room, and easy to maintain.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

My wife and I (with two small kids) *love* our RAV4.

If you're safety-conscious, please go for the side curtain airbags. Without, side impact ratings are not too good. With side curtain airbags, though, the RAV4 is one of the best-rated SUVs available.

It's versatile, fun, and practical.

Reply to
VoicesInMyHead

I guess, as long as you do not tangle with one of the bigger safer SUVs. ;)

mike hunt

Voices>

Reply to
DustyRhoades

Toyota RAV4

Highs: Interior flexibility, agility, fuel economy, visibility, standard stability control, offset-crash result, reliability. Lows: Narrow cabin, no rear bumper, IIHS side-crash test w/o side- or curtain air bags

The RAV4 is one of our highest-rated small SUVs. The flexible, well-designed interior includes a rear seat you can fold and remove in halves. The

2.4-liter needs to be revved to make power, resulting in some engine drone. The engine and automatic transmission work well together, and the AWD system does its job efficiently and unobtrusively on slippery pavement and limited off-road situations. Access and loading are very easy. Nimble handling and good fuel economy also add to the RAV4's appeal. ABS and stability control are standard. We recommend the optional curtain air bags. A redesign of the RAV4 arrives for 2006.

Honda CD-V:

Highs: Powertrain, handling, ride, room, standard safety features, crash-test results, reliability. Lows: Road noise

This is one of the best car-based SUVs on the market yet it is competitively priced. The ride is supple and controlled. The steering is quick and communicative and handling is secure with the standard stability control. The 2.4-liter four-cylinder is more energetic, refined, and economical than the V6s of some competitors. The five-speed automatic transmission is very smooth and responsive. The rear seat is roomy and the flat floor enhances leg room. Road noise is a bit pronounced. The cargo floor folds out to double as a picnic table. The rear gate swings open to the side and the window can be opened separately. Crash-test results are impressive.

Reply to
Buck Frobisher

Both very capable vehicles. However far more buyers in that segment, chose the Ford Escape every year then choose those two, combined. Me thinks one would be well advised at least drive and get a drive home price of all three, then decide. Brand loyalties aside, as with the Camry in its class, there must be a good reason that so many more buyer chose to spend their money on the Escape rather than the CRV or RAV4 or any other small car based SUV

mike hunt

Buck Frobisher wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

i've tried to buy from the local Ford dealer serveral times. I just don't like doing any business with them. They impress me as being crooks, more so than the Toyota guys. I've really had good relations with the local Toyota dealership. They seem well organized. I'll go back again.

Reply to
Dbu_^

Well. I have just recently bought a new 2005 RAV4. While I was looking at small SUVs there were certain things I was looking for in it. It had to be good on gas, easy to maintain, I had to be able to afford it. Now those might not be what you look for, but I've been driving a Suzuki Sidekick for the past 10 years for 169,000 miles and it still gets 28 mpg.

I looked at the others, the CR-V, the Escape and the newer Suzuki Vitara. Here's what it came down to. The CR-V was affordable but it's gas mileage wasn't in the desired range. The Suzuki was like the CR-V, and I already know how easy they are to work on. The Ford Escape was clear out of the price range, plus the hybrid engine looks like a monster to do self maintance on. Only the RAV4 fit my needs in cost, gas mileage, and maintance exactly. BTW there is the Mazda Tribune which is just another version of the Escape, and a little more affordable. Ford and Mazda are almost the same trucks and SUVs.

Besides, I have a brother-in-law that works at Ford in the fuel system design dept. As long as I know he's there, I will never buy a Ford.

Reply to
arhes