No start on 89 Cressida after replacing ignition control module

89 Cressida 7MGE engine. Had an intermittent no-start issue. When I taped t he distributor end of the coil wire next to a nut on the shock tower, there was no visible spark. After cranking a while I'd see spark and the car wou ld start. Finally it got to where I just never saw spark, car wouldn't star t.

Replaced the ignition control module and coil and it fired right up and ran fine for a couple of days. Now it's back to a no start.

Any suggestions as to what it could be?

Reply to
docsavage20

the most obvious is that the "new" (Never Ever Worked before) part failed. Luckily you know how to troubleshoot it already. And of course a bad coil could have overworked the new igniter.

Of course being a 1989, something else, like the fuel pump, or ECM could have easily failed.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Tentatively looks like the distributor, or more accurately the sensor picku ps within are the culprit. I'm told there are Hall-effect sensors within th at can go bad? Happened to have a spare distributor sitting around, put it in and the car fired right up. Of course it initially worked when I put in the new ICM too, so I'll have to give it a few days of start/sit/start agai n before I declare it cured.

Reply to
docsavage20

while it /is/ working, gently wiggle the distributor connector from side-to-side and twist the wires right there too. A fraying wire will often work intermittently when connectors are twisted during installation of components and lead to false "I fixed it!" conclusions.

hth, GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh