OBD II code

Hi, Are OBD II codes universal or unique for each model? IF yes, where can I find a website that has those DTC info listed? Thanks.

Reply to
wenmang

Yes and no. The Society of Automotive Engineers specifies a list of OBD II codes that are universal for every model although not every code applies to every model. For example, an in-line 4 cylinder engine does not have a "bank 2."

Check out

for a list of universal codes and links to some more explanations of how OBD II works.

Reply to
Ray O

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Codes that begin P0 (P-zero) are mandated by the federal EPA and are identical in all cars sold in the US and Canada.

Codes that begin with P1, P2, etc, are "enhanced" codes that are NOT mandated by the EPA. Automakers add them at their own discretion.

Ray O has given you the main site for the mandated codes.

For Toyota specific codes, you need to know the exact number, the you can punch it in here:

AutoZone in the US (other than California) will read your codes for free.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"" wrote: > Hi, > Are OBD II codes universal or unique for each model? IF yes, > where can > I find a website that has those DTC info listed? > Thanks.

This link lists generic OBD II DTC.

daumus

Reply to
daumus

AutoZone in California will now let you use the scan tool yourself to pull the codes. And they let you use the tool for free.

I'd like to explore the enhanced (P1 and P2, etc.) codes. The lists that I have seen seem to show that while all codes are not always used, most codes that are used always mean the same thing. That is, all cars won't produce a P1234 (ficticious code that I pulled out of my ass), but when a car does produce a P1234, then it normally means the same for all cars that produce a P1234. I do not argue that the codes are enhanced, I conpletely agree that they are. But my very limited experience is that codes are uniform with a few exceptions.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

"Jeff Strickland" wrote in news:7JudnZc2NsiwDP snipped-for-privacy@ez2.net:

P1, P2, P3, etc codes are manufacturer specific, as they are not mandated by the EPA.

It wouldn't surprise me to see some standardization of the code numbers between manufacturers, but they are not forced by law to make them the same.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Actually, today there are only P0 and P1 Codes. Check it out ...

But, you were right, only P0 are standardized by regulation, the P1 codes may or may not carry over among different manufacturererers.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Got this from a class I was in recently, thought it was interesting.

How to basically read OBDll Standardized Diagnostic Trouble codes.

The codes start with a letter:

The trouble code area: P- Powertrain B- Body C- Chassis U- Network Fault

Who created this code:

0- SAE defined code 1- Manufacture defined code 2- Manufacture (they ran out of codes for 1 so they expanded to "2")

System:

0- Total system 1- Air-fuel control 2- Air-fuel control 3- Ignition system or misfire 4- Auxiliary Emission Controls 5- Idle or speed controls 6- Computer system (PCM or I/O) 7- Transmission 8- Non-computer controlled Powertrain

The last two digits indicate the specific problem area

So the code P1711 would tell us:

P- Powertrain

1- It's a manufacture's code 7- Transmission 11- Transmission oil temperature circuit out of range

and the code P0300 would tell us:

P- Powertrain O- It's a SAE mandated code

3- Ignition system or misfire 00- random misfire detected
Reply to
Steve H