One thing I've learned from my ORDEAL replacing CV shafts!

DON'T go full-lock on the steering!!!

Man, these things aren't very robust, are they?

I was replacing the driver's side one, and got the end of the shaft *just* into the transmission but the splines weren't aligned, so I went to pull it back out and the damn inner joint SEPARATED! I didn't even tug that hard!

Reply to
Hachiroku

that's what it's supposed to do. the inner joint soaks up the suspension travel.

Reply to
Nick Bourne

But...but..I mean, it SEPARATED! Making the new shaft useless!

I pulled the old shaft out with no problem!

Reply to
Hachiroku

How bad did it come apart? Unless you tore the boot it should just pop back in. I have never had an inner cv come apart and not just slide back together easily. I pull them apart on the tulip style ones to make them easier to handle as they come apart real easy.

Reply to
Nick Bourne

Um, since I had never replaced one before, I thought it was ruined!

I think I see what you're saying: the inner joint is like a fork, and allows the shaft to slide in and out a bit...(?)

That way as the suspension flexes, it allows movement of the shaft with the hub.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I'm not sure what you mean by like a fork but this is a diagram of an inner cv. And yes they soak up all the shaft movement.

The outside one is a different design and is does not come apart easily. Usually the outside one is the one that is damaged and gives the clunking noise. But on a non steering wheel they last forever as long as the boot is not damaged. I had a 85 cressida with 360000Kms on it still with the original rear cv shafts with no play in them.

But your right about being careful on full lock. IF you drop the clutch on full lock there is a 90% chance the outer cv will pop apart.

Reply to
Nick Bourne