OT 55 MPH Speed Limit A solution?

Libertarians have made only one correct call: They were always against the Iraq war. Granted, that's a heck of an important issue, but otherwise they're wacky and want to legalize all white collar crime and think that you should be able to drive with a trunk full of crystal meth but have to pay a private road toll every three blocks.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Well, I don't know that there's a statistical database to resolve your 30 versus 70 comparison. With that said however, and I personally driving about 100K a year for more than 20 years, can tell you with absolute certainty that a car driven consistently at 55 will CLEARLY produce better mpg than a car driven at 70 mph, and even moreso if driven faster.

Assuming a car has an automatic tranny, many won't stay locked into OD at

30, so that's not a fair comparison.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

That's it? Only 100K/year? And ONLY FOR 20? Child, come back when you have some real experience. You're so dead wrong it's pitiful.

many? Provide statistics, please.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

It's highly unlikely that they do.

His face car driving is irrelevant in a discussion of passenger car fuel economy. Please don't be such a jerk.

3-speed automatics probably give peak fuel economy way below 40 MPH and drop off above that way below the 50 MPH shown in the graph.

It's funny, but all the fuel economy records are done at slower speeds.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

\ Okay, so if you've driven more than 2 million miles in the last 20, then you have me beat. My point being that I have checked mileage on EVERY tank and I KNOW that when I drive HARD AND FAST... my mileage drops by about 2 points.

however, Edmunds just did a test, comparing speeds.

You can read the entire article here...

and here's some interesting comments:

Method: This test was simple. For 50 miles we drove with the cruise control set at 65 mph. Then, for another 50-mile stretch we drove with cruise set at

75 mph. We repeated this test going in the opposite direction. It is amazing how obvious the difference in gas mileage was. Just think what would have happened if we had slowed down to 60 mph. The only problem is with impatient drivers behind you. One driver became so irate that he tried to run our editor off the road. Still, if you are pinched by gas prices. Leave a little early and drive the speed limit (in the slow lane).

I would love to find there's a way I can drive at 80 and get even the SAME mileage that I do at 65, but it's impossible.

Do you want to know why planes don't fly faster than they do? It isn't that we couldn't triple their speed. The technology exists (and in some cases is used by fighter planes).... The reason is because FUEL COSTS are prohibitive.

The faster you go, the more wind resistance you have. Same holds true with cars... air resistance is air resistance, no matter how much you claim differently, a car doesn't get LESS resistant as speed increases... just the opposite is true.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

And yet if you read articles about hypermiling, many of the most successful techniques involve keeping RPMs around 2000. You can't generalize.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

No, they surely aren't.

I do in town.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Define "best" because they don't get their best efficiency at 3,000 RPM.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly