OT 55 MPH Speed Limit A solution?

I'd rather see some kind of if you can drive this fast and still get 30 MPG and traffic permitting, you can drive 65 or 70.

Moe

I'd rather see a president say "Do the math, people. For a 1/2 hour trip, do you really need to get there a minute sooner? Try keeping it under 2000 RPMs for a few weeks & see if your wallet likes the results. But don't do this coming off a red light if it means jamming up 8 cars behind you who can't get through the light. Use your heads and your rear view mirrors."

We'll have to wait for a real president, I guess.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

My Japanese cars all get their best fuel economy at 70MPH.

Reply to
Hachiroku

My Japanese cars all get their best fuel economy at 70MPH.

Reply to
Hachiroku

My Japanese cars all get their best fuel economy at 70MPH.

Reply to
Hachiroku +O+A+m+/

All cars are the same, so it's pointless to experiment. Forget I mentioned it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Hey, Hachi, you have Japanese cars? At what speed do they get their best fuel economy?????????????????

Reply to
tak

Yes, & instead of a lower speed limit (55 drives me nuts on a good 4-lane road, esp. when going on out-of-town trips; 55 on the Thruway was ridculous), make the better mpg mandates for the auto manufacturers *stick*, instead of forever getting watered back down.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

No, they don't. Like all cars, they'll probably do best at the slowest RPM you can get by with in top gear, according to Pat Bedard, a former Chrysler engineer and current columnist for Car & Driver.

When the national 55 MPH speed limit was imposed in the 1970s, many truckers claimed that fuel economy was better at higher speeds, so the feds let some of them prove it while a government employee rode along. Only one trucker succeeded, and he won a bet with the other truckers because even they didn't believe that 55 MPH used more fuel.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Jimmie Carter, bless his soul, set the speed limits at 55 nationwide. It was not popular and most ignored it. It is a new day, a new era with more enlightened voters. I hope Obama sets the speed limits at 55 again, does away with noisy motorcycles, boats, cars and taxes to the max large SUV's, leaf blowers, lawn mowers, snowblowers, pickup trucks, boats with motors and all the other motorized recreational toys people have today. Also I would hope Obama, in order to cause healthcare to be cheaper, makes people diet in order to weigh less and therefore put less burden on the national healthcare plan that Obama has in mind for us. I would also hope that he makes physical activity such as walking two or three miles a day mandatary, monitored by the federal government, which will be created under the new mandatary healthcare plan which Barrack will create for us, such as homeland healthcare services, for example, this will create jobs BTW, union jobs.

I have high hopes for Obama in 08, he will lead us out of Iraq, eventually, when the time is right. Barack said he will give us national healthcare and raise taxes on the rich, yippy, lower taxes on the poor, bring big oil to it's knees, woooo-hoooo!! I hope you all vote for Barack Obama, the next president of the U.S.

Reply to
Reverend AlGore

jsb will be hiding his boat and pu truck, in hopes the feds won't find it, LOL.

Reply to
dbu

Excepting, of course that Obama will beat Toilet McSame and you'll be whining for at least four years. More likely 8.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Not really now, are they?

But my cars get better economy at 70 than at 55. Except the Scion. It gets it's best at 80.

Reply to
Hach

Pat's a good guy, but look where he worked. Chrysler isn't exactly known for building the most fuel efficient cars in the world.

And he isn't a very good driver, if you go by the one Indy 500 he was in.

That's OK, I love him anyway.

However, back to the topic at hand: I have owned the Hachiroku for 23 years now. When I bought it the speed limit was 55 MPH. At 55 it got about 27 MPG. At 60 it got about 28. At 65 it got 28. At 70 it got 36. Actually the 36 was a combination of driving 15 miles in a congested city, and 40 miles at 70 on the Interstate. So my guess is I was actually doing better than 36 on the highway...

And I have the book in the glovebox to prove it.

Reply to
Hach

I'll leave that for you to guess! The winner gets an American-made Subaru Legacy Wagon. (Small handling fee required)

Reply to
Hach

They'll all be making Smart Cars.

Reply to
Hach

Wow, Handle this, you and Scott--what a combo

Reply to
tak

Yeah, but 80 mph? Accident & ticket & higher car insur. rates avoidance, maybe??

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

"Hachiroku ????"...

OK, your cars. How about on average for all the cars on the road in the USA today? That would be what would peg this as a good possibility for an idea or not I am thinking. What do you think in regards to _all_ cars? Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Add mine to the same list as his. Look at it this way:

When you drive 70mph, it takes you 5.4 hours to go from SF to LA. When you drive 55mph, it takes you 6.9 hours to go from SF to LA.

Can you honestly say that you think you'd lose LESS gas by running your car's engine for an additional ONE AND A HALF hours?

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore