OT Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage

Haven't we been here before?

IIRC, Acetone can eat away at rubber. Lots of components in the fuel system are rubber or plastic.

I'll pay a little extra to avoid rebuilding my fuel system...

(I was going to try this on an old Grand V'Ger with a bad engine, but I broke a bunch of bolts on the engine before I had the chance...)

Reply to
Hachiroku

It's is the first I've heard of it. The writer says 2 oz for 10 gal of gas, maybe 3. More than that and it's a waste.

Reply to
dbu.

I've tried acetone in other vehicles as a test.. It's my opinion that any benifit is from clearing moisture from the fuel system. Once it's clear, the mpg is quite likely to be about the same as before acetone was used. Or thats my take anyway.. I still have about a half gallon of that stuff... Once I saw it didn't seem to pan out too well, I quit bothering with it. I've never added it to the corolla.. I was using my old ford trucks as the test vehicles. In comparison, the corolla has such a high tech and precise fuel metering system that I would be fairly leary to try it in that car. I'm already getting 40-41 on the highway with an auto tranny.. If it ain't broke, I don't need to fix it. :/ MK

Reply to
nm5k

I don't think I'll try it. I don't drive that much so the little bit of savings won't matter much. The thing that bothers me is ethanol mixed in the gas. It is mandated here in my state. I get noticeably worse gas milage and a drop in performance from gas that I purchase over the border in the next state that does not require its use. As a result of ethanol, corn prices have shot though the roof, now at over $4/bushel. Corn farmers are plowing up every available foot. What BS.

Reply to
dbu.

"dbu." wrote in news:nospam-C89605.16543528122007 @comcast.dca.giganews.com:

A rebuttal:

Tegger

The fact is, adjusted for inflation, corn prices are still at depression era levels. Corn prices were near $4/bu in the mid to late 70's (in unadjusted dollars, which would be like $12 a bushell now). No one I know is dumb ass enough to plow up every available foot to plant corn. Even with corn near $4 it is only marginally profitable becasue of the high cost of everything used to grow corn (diesel fuel, nitrogen, fertilizrer, equipment, etc.). Persoanlly I plan to plant a lot less corn this year. I got more per bushell last year than I have ever since I have been farming (22 years) and still barely squeaked by becasue of mediocre yeilds (drought) and high cost inputs. Soybeans are much more profitiable.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

TOM: It's bo-o-o-o-gus, Wil. With four "o's." Don't put acetone in your gas tank.

RAY: It does absolutely nothing to increase your gas mileage. We spoke to a fuel-systems engineer who works for one of the major oil companies. He said that because of all these rumors floating around on the Web, his company tested acetone in its own labs and found no increase in mileage. [end quote]

It could bring some excitement into your life though. Buy enough acetone and the DEA will pay you a visit. :)

Reply to
F.H.

This is a total crock. Any reported increase in mileage is likely do to poor record keeping combined with wishful thinking. I suppose if you have an engine with a cruded up fuel system a shot of acetone might clean things up (if it doesn't dissolve important bits) and lead to an apparent improvement in perfomance. But if this is the case, one of the better fuel system cleaners would likely do as well.

Now ask yourself this - if acetone really worked wouldn't at least one petroleum distributor sell fuel with it included? Or at least one auto manufacturer struggling to meet CAFE requirements require its use? It takes a truly wacky kind of logic to think that all the oil compnmaies, all the auto companies, and the companies that make acetone would keep this a secret if it worked. Is it really reasonable to think a guy selling scan gauges is the only sane person in the world (or at least one of a few)?

See also:

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

I'm not going to use the stuff.

Reply to
dbu.

I'm not going to use the stuff Ed. I always figure if it's too good to be true it probably isn't.

Reply to
dbu.

When I was running a fleet of diesel semi's a company in Florida had me test a diesel additive supposed to give us +10%. I had 4 brand new freightliners and personally dosed the 4 55 gallon drums in the required dosage in the 4 trucks. At the end of the test, with meticulist record keeping, the results were: One truck gained about

10%. One lost abot 5% the other two remained static. In other words it was expensive snake oil. People claim many things but there is a lot of snake oil out there. Ron
Reply to
ronbon

What does it cost to buy a gallon of that snake oil? LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt

It cost me $0.00 per gallon for 165 gallons. The good thing is all the friends in Florida I made. Unfortunately they went out of business but reinvented themselves in the ethanol and used frying oil business. Ron

Reply to
ronbon

LOL! I actually do BETTER, at least with the Mazda!!!

If I run 'real' gas at 93 octane in the Mazda, my mileage goes down! This is the first time in YEARS of running Jap cars that this has happened. And 'real' gas makes it run rough!

Reply to
Hachiroku

They must have dumbed down "real" gas to make the corn crap look good.

Reply to
dbu.