{OT}CIA Nominee Panetta Received $700,000 in Fees

More of no change, the good old boys are going to continue to run the system. "WASHINGTON -- The White House's nominee for Director of the Central Intelligence Agency, Leon Panetta, has earned more than $700,000 in speaking and consulting fees since the beginning of 2008, with some of the payments coming from troubled financial firms and from a firm that invests in contractors for federal national security agencies, according to financial disclosures released Wednesday. Mr. Panetta received $56,000 from Merrill Lynch & Co. for two speeches and $28,000 for a speech for Wachovia Corp., according to disclosures released ahead of Thursday's scheduled Senate hearing on Mr. Panetta's nomination."

Fat Moe

The money's not good, but not unusual. What's weirder to me is why any president would choose a CIA director of a type which the CIA is the least comfortable with: A "civilian", so to speak. Someone with less intelligence experience than a better candidate. The problem is that there may not have been anyone better in that regard. I wonder if Obama looked to the military for any candidates.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

There have been other "civilian" CIA directors, some appointed by Republicans, some by Democrats. My comment was a generic one, although you NEED to make it otherwise.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

In the late 1970s, almost all of Ronald Reagan's income was from making speeches and being paid for them by corporate interests who obviously wanted government business. What did you think of Reagan doing that?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly