{OT}:Citgo

Since Hugo Chavez thinks America is evil, maybe we ought to stop sending him our evil petrodollars by not buying Citgo? Citgo is the primary outlet for Venezuelan oil in the U.S.

Reply to
n5hsr

So, instead of importing their oil across a short distance, we'll import more from further away?

The decrease in transportation efficiency would lead to slightly higher prices and would otherwise not bother the Venezuelans at all.

Oil is 100% fungible. If you're using it, you're supporting Chavez, no matter where you buy your gas.

If you want to hurt Chavez, reduce your energy consumption (insulate your house, car-pool, etc) and get others to do so.

You will:

Save money and reduce our trade deficit Cut funds to terrorists. Hurt Chavez' popularity and influence Help keep the planet clean.

All worthy goals.

Reply to
DH

One of our Governor candidates in Ma owns a dozen or so variety stores that sells Citgo. He says he is dropping them.

Ron

Reply to
ronbon

Charles,

The problem is, the libs will buy Citgo Gas because they agree with Chavez and hate America too.

Reply to
Roadrunner Newsgroup

That's precisely what will happen--the DEMONrats will lineup to buy CITGO gas as they are doing all the things that traitors would do.

Reply to
sharx35

=====

Liberals love America. When we criticize it, it's to make America even better than it is.

Do you think Bush and Cheney really love America? They deliberately lied to America in order to take us to war. They love Big Oil and Haliburton. That's where their allegiances lie.

Do you think Lyndon Johnson loved America? He also lied to the America People in order to take us to war in Vietnam. Johnson's Gulf of Tonkin resolution was one big lie, like Bush's January 2003 State of the Union message.

Bush and Cheney should be sitting in a jail cell with their lying friend Saddam Hussein.

Reply to
Built_Well

Hogwash. Liberals like to think they do, but in reality they want control over the masses.

Reply to
dbu

=====

Oh, you're just a silly willy

Reply to
Built_Well

Is that you Mike Moore? LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

OK, first off, did you get an F or just an F-- in Econ 101?

Venezuela also owns Citgo. If people don't buy at Citgo, then Venezuela doesn't make money. That means no buying smokes at Citgo, or coffee or bread or milk or any of that stuff. It does make a difference. True, Chavez can sell the oil somewhere else, but those little mini-marts have overhead, and if there's no cash coming in, that will cost.

Also, you dumb hick, those of us that are conserving are already doing the best we can. I've cut down from 100 miles a day last year to an average of

15 this year. No I can't take public transportation where I have to go when I have to go. I drive a Toyota Corolla now.

Typical left-wing knee-jerk (or should I say circle-jerk) reaction.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

Actually, I did quite well in Econ 101 and then went on in it as a major.

OK - we stop buying Venezuela's oil. We buy it instead from Saudi. Saudi's former customers then buy it from ... where? You guessed it, Venezuela. Net impact on Venezuela's sales? Essentially zero.

Why "essentially?" We get oil from Venezuela and mix of other sources because it's efficient to do so. If we tip the market, cutting off oil from Venezuela by fiat, we disrupt the efficiency of the distribution mechanisms. Somebody's going to pay for that. It will be the consumer, of course, but the incremental demand for energy to move X million barrels of oil an extra N thousand miles per day could drive up prices a bit. The winner? Venezuela.

You reduced your oil consumption by some 85%? Well done. You've reduced support of terrorism and accomplished other useful goals. Thanks. As a bonus, you get to save money.

However, you and I can't do it alone. Detroit built bigger and bigger cars for the last two decades. Go look at what's commuting back and forth to town. A long line of nearly empty SUVs.

Overall, US energy consumption goes up and up and up... We need an effective national policy designed to strip oil despots and terrorists of their financing and power and the Bush Administration isn't doing this.

Reply to
dh