OT - Computer info

Does anyone remember the name of that IT employee who used to make regular appearances here about a year ago? He used to always change his nickname and may have worked in Ohio.

I believe that guy may have hacked my home computer one day when I didn't have my firewall up.

Reply to
Built_Well

Why do you believe he may have hacked your computer?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

This is going to be interesting...

Reply to
witfal

Hey!! Mr Wanna Be Net Nanny, WTF does this have to do with Toyota and attracting "experts"?

You can't have it both way's!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Roy

========

Joe, it's a pretty involved story.

Just always keep your firewall up, though. It's one of the best things you can do.

Reply to
Built_Well

Yeah....I'm sure it is.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

How would he know what address your computer is using if you are on hotmail via web?

Reply to
dbu`

========

I don't think I should talk more about this off-topic matter. Wanna attract lots of Toyota experts to the group, which won't happen if we clog the group with OTs.

Reply to
Built_Well

What domain name does this guy's email come from?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It's ok with me to talk about it, I find it interesting and besides I hold nothing against you for your rant about OT,s. It's understandable you should feel that way, but as I found out long time ago it's really useless to buck it, just go along with the flow.

Reply to
dbu`

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:X5NMi.18007 $ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

Because it wasn't running Top Tier Gas.

Reply to
Tegger

Too late for that.

Reply to
EdV

A software firewall is not really adquate protection. Turning off unnecessary services and using a router with NAT (Network Address Translation) is much more effective at protecting your computer than a software firewall that can be easily bypassed.

Reply to
badgolferman

========

BadGolferMan, thanks for giving us those tips. I'm not a computer expert, but I sure know not to run unnecessary daemons (or "services" as they're called in the Microsoft world) like a telnet server, ftp server, etc.

Especially gotta turn off that horrible Net BIOS service in Microsoft Windows and disable the Plug-And-Play option in your computer's BIOS to be much safer.

Reply to
Built_Well