OT# Hey Scott in Florida

No. :-( I drive a perfectly good, but rather boring, Corolla.

When it was first sold, there was no real

My guess - thinking about Toyota & their operations, would be that they have a viable plan in place. I hope.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Radio Frequency Interference? As far as I can tell, dimmers haven't been a problem. Light fixture/motion detector combo units (screw detector in first and then screw light bulb into detector) caused verifiable interference with my FAX/phone unit and another telecommunication piece of equipment.

Like I said, dimmers haven't been a problem. As a matter of fact, every single GE and Phillips sunlight spectrum incandescent that's connected to the dimmers have lasted longer than any fluorescents. Dimmers extend longevity.

I understand there's a finite limit of tungsten, so finding a good substitute ahead of time isn't unreasonable. What is unreasonable is for the government to get everyone excited about digital TV, and yet so far they use many more times the amount of electricity than a typical CRT. And for every watt that produces heat it takes two watts to cool. Some politicians may think they are showing and advocating, but it's from the heart and not the mind. Are you still with me or did I lose you after the first sentence?

Reply to
mark digital©

Since we're all in this together, there's no reason for a municipal dump to collect extra fees. They're preying on us because we've become stupid. Let me ask you a question. If we didn't separate plastic before it was collected, how do you think they would do it in the most efficient way?

Reply to
mark digital©

If all my talk about dimmers has upset your stomach, I'm sorry dbu.

Reply to
mark digital©

Hmm, every dimmer I've worked with has put RFI into some amateur radio spectrum somewhere if not the Standard Broadcasting band.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

LCD TV's use LESS energy than CRT's. It has nothing to do with HD or non-HD. We still have a CRT tv, but the next one will be LCD, (not plasma). Projection TV's use a lamp so they also may be quite power hungry, in addition the lamp needs replacement from time to time at a rather high cost, I'm told around $300. All my computer monitors are now LCD's. The one I'm using now is a cinema display, (wide screen). It uses far less energy than my old CRT and generates a fraction of the heat.

Depending on what part of the spectrum you are concerned with. The dimmers do produce harmful interferance. Some are much worse than others.

Reply to
dbu.,

Where in heavens sake did you get that idea? I am just trying to educate you.

Reply to
dbu.,

You are education us. On how people, such as yourself, who don't have a clue and are totally misinformed can draw such stupid conclusion.

You're proving the old computer adage: garbage in, garbage out.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

It was a poor ideological joke.

Reply to
mark digital©

Is that what they call dark humor?

Reply to
dbu.,

Bruce B is a lot more knowledgeable about this subject than I am, but I'lll give it a shot anyway.

The motion detector probably causes interference because it is transmitting a signal that some other electronic devices pick up.

My understanding is that dimmers extend the life of incandescent bulbs because they reduce the voltage to the bulbs, so they produce less heat and light, which extends the life of the filaments. Someone once suggested that using bulbs rated for 240 volts would last longer because they are effectively working at half of their rated voltage in household use.

Reply to
Ray O

Jeff, your constant rubbish talk about GWB our President and Iraq as told to you by your puppet masters is enough to make a maggot regurgitate. I can only assume you are narrow minded, and an easily led minion of the far left wing extremists, moveon.org and others.

Reply to
dbu.,

You're wrong about this. I don't have a puppet master. I make my own conclusions.

Assuming makes an ass out of you. More accurately, you make an ass out of yourself.

--"I'm also not very analytical. You know I don't spend a lot of time thinking about myself, about why I do things." G.W. Bush, June 4, 2003

So we have a President who makes decisiosn that affect millions of lives, including the lives of countries that we invade, and he doesn't think about why he does things.

I think that, and the fact that you susport this asshole, says it all.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

They also provide 1/4th the rated light output.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You are more guilty of assuming things than I am.

Where is the open mindedness of the liberal? Can't stand to have someone disagree with you? You think your ideas are the only right ones? Again, you are just a narrow minded minion with blinders.

Reply to
dbu.,

You're welcome to disagree with me. So is anyone else.

No, I don't. And they sometimes turn out to be wrong.

At least I am able to analyze myself. Even Bush says he is not analtyical. His comments confirm this.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Have a nice day jeff.

Reply to
dbu.,

You too.

Reply to
Jeff

Fluorescents are rated for 12K hours at 4 hours a start, IIRC. Reduce that run time to a half-hour per start, and they drop off dramatically - there are only so many starts in the lamp, and either the filaments or the ballast electronics take a crap.

Left on all the time like they are in emergency stairwells, and that same lamp will last for double or triple the rated hours, or more. They usually fail when the filaments do - but if the filaments fail while the lamp is lit it will stay lit until the power flickers and the arc goes out. Or the ballast fails.

Read the packages carefully: Almost all Compact Fluorescent Lamps can NOT be dimmed, just like regular permanently installed fluorescent light fixtures. And the ones that can be dimmed are not cheap to set up, they require special dimmers and special ballasts designed to work together, and sometimes special lamps.

And every time you change the lamps in one of those special dimmed fluorescent fixtures you have to burn in the new lamps for a week by running them at full brightness before you try dimming them, or you will have early lamp failures.

They have made Compact Fluorescent Lamps (the one piece curly bulbs) in the past that were supposed to be dimable with standard consumer grade incandescent dimmers, but all the ones I've seen have been discontinued - they usually don't live long. And I've heard of a few fires and melted lamps, don't even try.

For the most efficiency in an incandescent fixture, get the quartz halogen capsule lamps like the Phillips Halogena - they are the best compromise that can be easily dimmed.

And try not to run them dimmed way down for too long at a stretch, the whole idea of the design is to keep the vaporized tungsten in suspension in the halogen gases till you turn off the power, when it redeposits on the filament.

If you run the lamps too cool by being severely dimmed most of the time, the tungsten will deposit on the glass instead, and you get the typical silvery inner coating on the lamp glass... Ramp them up to full brightness for about a minute to get good and hot before you shut them off.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Right ...that's the movie all right. The one you wouldn't see because you're so smart you know better....

Pompous ass.

Reply to
mack