OT: History repeats itself

I've just been reading about the 1964 Presidential campaign. It seems to me the 2004 election seems to match in many ways:

The Republican candidiate was talking about privatizing Social Security. The Republican candidate was talking about aggressively fighting to win a war. The Republican candidate was talking about what was right for America. ('In your heart you know he's right.')

The Democrats were trying to smear the Republican candidate on war. (Daisy spot, "In your heart you know he might.") The Democrats were trying to smear the Republican candidate on Social Security. ("In your guts, you know he's nuts.", spot where hands tear up SS card.)

So I guess the only thing that changed in 40 years is the American public finally figured out Goldwater was right after all? And Josh, Dizzy, etc, are all fighting for LBJ?

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

LOL! You're right, Rav, it can be fun! Does it make a difference? Perhaps. I have changed my thoughts on some issues discussed here (um ,ever so slightly) but there has been somewhat of a softening on my part.

I praticularly like playuing with the Trolls, myself...

Oh, and you coded a rant off without a rant on. Hope you don't get stuck in a loop! ;)

Reply to
HachiRoku

Yes I'm working away at you, you're one of the few righties that has some potential :)

Reply to
Josh

People like Scott and Crazy Charles wont ever learn, 1. Because Scott is a certified idiot and Charles needs medication. But sometimes the discussion with the other ones in here who have a brain, does tend to lead to some good thinking. I'm sure more than a few have changed their minds on a few issues, even so slightly it's a step in the right direction.

Reply to
Josh

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Charles @ Kankakee) wrote;

I know I'm not alone when I suggest that the FEMALE BITCHFEST that's been allowed to break out in this ng has gotten

Who does she belong to? Poor guy...

Reply to
Truckdude

I refuse to admit it...

Reply to
HachiRoku

I'm actually a Conservative Moderate who lives in a VERY Liberal area. Sometimes the things the REAL Liberals do sets my blood boiling!

But for the most part, you guys are harmless (well, you COULD make better choices as to whom you have running for President! Ewwwwww!)

I AM Prochoice (and NOT only if the choice is life). I don't LIKE abortion, but it's not my body OR my choice. If I really wanted to prevent abortions, I'd get MYSELF snipped!

Take a page out of William Weld's book to see about where I am. He's just slightly more Liberal...

Reply to
HachiRoku

The older I get the more I see I was right supporting Goldwater in '64. And I was only 6 at the time. Voted for Nixon in 68 and 72 in school elections and for real for Carter in '76. (Forgive me, Scott, for I have sinned.) Couldn't vote for Reagan in 80 due to residency requirements. Did vote for him in '84, though.

I got a place for the person that thinks I need medication. It's called Shapiro Developmental Center. Nice padded walls in a nice peaceful setting. She's basically repeating one of LBJ's slogans. ('In your guts you know he's nuts.')

Next thing you know they'll be throwing the daisy spot at us again.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

I was 7. All I remember really of politics was Kennedy (um, obviously) and cars with bumper stickers that said AU_H2O

No, not the Daisy Spot...it was bad enough the FIRST time (and I was stoned back then, so that'll tell you how BAD it was!)

Reply to
HachiRoku

You were stoned at 7? Wow. They played the Daisy spot once in the 1964 campaign. Every broadcast history class since has included it.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

Hmmmm....I remember seeing it when I was very young, but I also remember seeing it when I was stoned (17 or 18).

I think it was a commercial show, like the Blooper shows...I don't really remember, I was stoned...

Reply to
HachiRoku

I know where I was the second time I saw it. I was 18 in Broadcast History class.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

Silly boy, I wasn't taking sides in this issue. BOTH sides are guilty as charged.

Reply to
ravelation

A PERFECT description of what YOU do here.

Poor guy. Walk away from the monitor and get some sleep dude.

And you're a real catch, right? Sitting in front of your 'puter discrediting people you've never met all day long.

Reply to
ravelation

THIS IS A TOYOTA NG!! START ACTING LIKE _MEN_, DAMMIT!!

My wife won't let me.

Reply to
J Strickland

You've changed "ever so slightly?" How. Have you gotten even more conservative? Somehow I don't think that's the kind of change she had in mind. You haven't softened, you've sat in the sun and melted. It's different ...

Reply to
J Strickland

Funny you should say that, I was gonna say the same thing about you.

Reply to
J Strickland

Nice, huh?

No, I haven't gotten more conservative. I'm about as conservative as I have ever been. But, in the case of some of our more lucid Liberals, I can understand where they are coming from. Before it just seemed like Chaos was in control of Liberals...

Reply to
HachiRoku