OT: Horrifying

Frightening statistic:

"Each year, the average car emits about 10,000 pounds (3 times its weight!) in carbon dioxide pollution, a leading cause of Global Warming."

Yow, I had no idear...

3 times the car's weight...

Source:

Built_Well

Your source is dubious. Movie fans that are activists.

Reply to
badgolferman
1 straight month of below average temperatures here; I think I'll go let my car idle overnight, and my snowblower, and my lawnmower...

Global Warming is our friend! Steve

Reply to
Steve

No worries. The Bush puppet said so.

Travis Jordan

Perhaps, but the numbers sounded about right to me.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

And the average car does most of this stuck in traffic for several hours a week, sometimes several hours a day.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

What I find "horrifying" is that enviromentalists are the first to halt any highway project, even if the project is to replace a raod that is already there but has become too small to do its job. Once the environmentalists stop a road, a new batch of environmentalists j8mp in and complain that cars emit too much CO2. But, if they allowed the highway projects to go through, there would be less CO@ because the cars would be on the road for an hour instead of 3 hours.

Environmentalists need to pick the battle, then not complain when then win it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

LOL! If they really stopped to think about it, an engine runs more efficiently when it's running continuously. The more the engine has to idle, the less efficient it runs. This means by NOT upgrading the road, there are more traffic jams, and more cars sitting there idleing, burning more fuel and emitting more pollution than if they were moving properly.

No, environmentalists DON'T think with their brains. But, hey, they save a salamander or two!

Reply to
Hachiroku

It's a fairly easy calculation that burning one gallon of gasoline results in about 16 pounds of CO2. That's 625 gallons, or 16000 miles at

25 miles/gallon.

Wonder how that compares to naturally occurring forest fires and volcanic eruptions? Just because it's a surprisingly big number doesn't mean it's significant. I once heard that the eruption of Mt. Pinetubo back in the 90's released more greenhouse gasses than all of the cars on the road. Dunno if it's true, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Reply to
Sean Elkins

Great web site and article! I enjoyed them a lot.

Dear Congress, isn't it time to impeach Georgie before another two thousand Americans die for his lies? Imagine that. He steals 2 elections AND goes off and starts a war.

Bush is so unpatriotic. Now we learn he's been forcing the N.S.A. to shred the Constitution. Paraphrasing Represetnative Russ Feingold, is he "President Bush or King Bush?"

By the way, "Syriana" is an incredibly good and moving movie. And Toyotas are prominently featured. Toyotas have a starring role in the picture--you'll see what I mean near the end.

Reply to
Built_Well

Maybe we should put them on the MTA and not give them any nickels so they can't get off. . . .

"He's the man who never returned"

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

LOL! Yup, an old song about the "T". You left out a letter, though, the MBTA, with 'tentacles' reaching up to 60 miles out of Boston.

It works fairly well, though!

Reply to
Hachiroku

How does 1 gallon of gas (that weighs a little over 6 pounds) = 16 pounds of C02 ?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Bitch'n

It was just the MTA back then. Wasn't that one of the Kingston Trio's first hits?

Poor Old Charlie. . . .

By the way I saw a SEPTA bus on the road with no plates the other day up here. I presume it was having repair work of some sort done, because I thought SEPTA was from SE Pennsylvania. If they're running routes all the way to Chicago . . . .

What's really sad is before WW2 we did have a mass transit system, at least here in the Midwest that did work.

Ever been to Britain? My sister was there for 2 weeks, never was in a car.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

I shoulda said "Senator Feingold," not "Representative Feingold." Sorry, Senator.

Impeach Bush before another two thousand American soldiers die in Iraq for his lies and lies.

Not to mention, soon it will be 500 billion dollars (half a trillion dollars) down the drain.

May the new year bring a long jail sentence for the Liar-In-Chief. Hip, hip, hooray!

Reply to
Built_Well

Because you are combining the carbon from the gas with oxygen from the air; combine 4.4 pounds of carbon with 11.6 pounds of oxygen to generate 16 pounds of CO2.

"Bob Bitch'n" > results in about 16 pounds of CO2. That's 625 gallons, or 16000 miles at

Reply to
Steve

Bush will be speaking live to the nation tonight on television. This happens just 2 days after the "New York Times" revealed that he's been having the N.S.A. illegally spy on Americans without obtaining the required court warrants.

King Bush will be jabbering tonight because he's scared. He's scared because he knows the Times story could very quickly "spin out of control," and lead to calls for his impeachment.

I believe the last time he spoke to America on a Sunday night was to announce the start of the Iraq War. Speaking on a Sunday night... That shows the seriousness of the Times story.

He's pissin' his pants right now.

It's time to impeach the unpatriotic liar....

Reply to
Built_Well

The Democrats have probably let Bush know that they expect him to speak Sunday night--not wait until Monday or Tuesday.

So he will be jumping through one of the Democrats' hoops tonight, hoping that will satisfy them so that none of the Democrats will utter the "I" word, impeachment.

And come to think of it, the Democrats probably won't utter the "I" word. But they will have Bush jump through a couple hoops.

Reply to
Built_Well

Of course Bush is going to pretend like tonight's speech is about the "success" of the elections in Iraq. But when you hear him bring up the so-called "Patriot Act" or anything touching on the Times story, you'll know the real reason he's blathering away tonight. He's scared the Democrats will call for impeachment. As long as he talks tonight, the Dems won't.

But the TV newtworks hate when Georgie takes time away from their money-earning line-up! That boy's always getting himself into trouble!

Reply to
Built_Well

It is not illegal for the NSA to intercept contacts with foreigner overseas, even if the people under surveillance are US citizens. You are liar.

Reply to
Mark A