Re: The sky is falling

Do search on sun spots, it is a great source to learn the effects of the sun on the earch. A search of the effect of tectonic plate movements, is another

In comparison beliving that a gas, that comprises around 3% of the atmosthere in can effect the earths terpeature, is somewhat of a streach at best

> > Steve wrote: > >> On the flipside of the coin, the global-warming-is-proven side often >> makes statements beginning "thousands of scientists agree...." that >> global waming is proven, without pointing out that the majority of the >> "scientists" they reference have no expertise in climatology (ie they're >> chemists, biologists, materials scientists, particle physicists, etc.), >> making their opinion no more valid than anyone grabbed at random off the >> street. > > Thousands of atmospheric scientists, or the vast majority, my cousin > being among them, believe man-caused global warming is a fact and has > a high probability of seriously affecting the climate in the long > term. None believe man-caused global warming is anywhere as > significant as natural global warming. >
Reply to
Mike hunt

The professionals in the field have long already considered those factors, and they would be outright shocked if the CO2 level was 3%, which is approximately 100 times the current level.

Reply to
Johnny Hageyama

You are correct .03 would have been closer. Perhaps we should not be putting nitrigen in our tires ;)

The Earth's atmosphere is a layer of gasses surrounding the planet earth and retained by gravity. It contains roughly (by molar content/volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, trace amounts of other gasses, and a variable amount (average around 1%) of water vapor . This mixture of gases is commonly known as air. The atmosphere the earth byabsorbing ultraviolet solar radiation and reducing temperature extremes between day and night.

There is no definite boundary between the atmosphere and space. It slowly becomes thinner and fades into space. Three quarters of the atmosphere's mass is within 11 km of the surface.

What other say about man as the cause of globel waming

Search tectonic plates for the cause of the El Niño effect would be worthwhile as well

One theory on the origins of El Nino has been proposed and, surprisingly, it has very little to do with the atmosphere or the sea. The new theory suggests that the primary mover behind El Nino is hot magma welling up between tectonic plates on the Pacific sea-floor. The upwelling magma heats the overlying waters enough to affect the ocean surface, initiating the cascade of events that brings on the wrath of El Nino.

Carbon dioxide increase occurs during summer months and mainly in polar latitutes This points to the thawing permafrost, melting glaciers, and shrinking Polar ice caps as having a key role of carbon dioxide emissions. This increase in carbon dioxide in our atmosphere is caused by nature. The extra carbon dioxide in the atmosphere mostly comes from pumping sequestered carbon in the form of hydrocarbons and coal into the biosphere.

Why do thawing permafrost and melting polar ice caps increase the rate of carbon dioxide entering the atmosphere? Because there was a HIGHER CONTRATIONS of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere because it was colder at the time the glaciers were formed. Also, there was abundant vegetation in the polar regions, vegetation that has been frozen but is now decomposing and thus releasing more carbon dioxide (and other gases such as methane) back into the carbon cycle. Human consumption of carbon dioxide is fairly consistent, but nature adds carbon dioxide back into the biosphere during periods of ice thaw, thus the carbon dioxide growth rate varies with NATURAL cycles.

Dr. Paul R. Epstein, M.D., M.P.H., associate director of Harvard University Medical School's Center for Health & Global Environment writes: Consider India's autumn of disease last year. For much of the summer, temperatures had soared from their normal 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit and hovered around 124 degrees. Three-month monsoons led to conditions conducive to breeding malaria, dengue fever, and pneumonic plague. By the time the epidemics ran their course, the three diseases had afflicted thousands of people and killed as many as 4,000.

Climate variability has profound effects on the Earth's biota; and alterations in the incidence, duration, onset and intensity of storms, hurricanes, floods, and droughts greatly impact societies, productivity and development through changes in the diseases of human, animals, and plants. Because climate affects temperature, humidity, and precipitation, it influences human health via three interconnected pathways: 1) distribution and quality of surface water; 2) life cycle of disease vectors and host/vector relationships; and 3) ecosystem dynamics of predator/prey relationships which control populations of disease vectors. Changes in temperature, precipitation, humidity, and storm patterns, often related to the El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO) phenomenon, are associated with upsurges of water-borne diseases such as hepatitis, shigella dysentery, typhoid, and cholera; of vector-borne pathogens such as malaria, dengue, yellow fever, encephalitis, schistosomiasis, plague and hantavirus; and of agricultural pests such as rodents, insects, fungi, bacterium, and viruses. And because climate variability can be forecasted, the potential exists to predict the likelihood of outbreaks of infectious disease.

ENSO Disrupts Ecosystem Dynamics Climatic extremes effect animal, plant and human health by affording opportunistic species fresh terrain and generating new bursts of activity. Droughts encourage locusts and rodents, while floods foster fungi and mosquitoes. Fluctuations in climate which alter the structure or function of ecosystems can change the population dynamics of opportunistic pests and disease vectors, and of the predatory species which normally check their population growth. Owls, for example, help control rodent populations involved in Lyme disease and Hantaviruses. In the U.S., deforestation in the Pacific Northwest and prolonged drought in the Southwest, both encourage the proliferation of rodents by damaging owl refuges.

Rodents are involved in the life-cycle of many groups of diseases around the world. In the U.S. a new disease, the Hantavirus (with a 60% mortality rate), emerged in the "Four Corners" area near the borders of Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, and Utah, following an explosion of the deer mouse population. Six-year droughts in the southwestern U.S. that devastated populations of owls, snakes, and other rodent predators, were followed by heavy rains in 1993 that increased food sources for rodents; in the absence predators the well nourished rodents flourished. The story is similar in southern Africa, where heavy rodent infestations closely followed the El Niño years of 1976, 1983, and 1993.

Since the 1960's researchers in southern Asia have observed an association between algal blooms and upsurges of cholera. It is becoming increasingly clear that ENSO warm events are also associated with upsurges of cholera, perhaps via the marine reservoir and/or the contamination of ground water accompanying ENSO-related flooding. Recent increases in coastal algal blooms and related cholera epidemics may be linked to climatic perturbations of ecosystems already stressed by pollution, habitat destruction, or the introduction of non-indigenous species.

ENSO Forecasting as a Weapon Against Infectious Disease New developments in climate forecasting can provide the basis for a proactive approach to the spread of human diseases and agricultural pests--mitigating or preventing outbreaks before they occur, saving scarce public health resources and saving lives. Integrating health surveillance with environmental and climatological monitoring, disease early warning systems for conditions conducive to outbreaks can aid in the design of timely, ecologically sound and environmentally benign public health interventions. Climate forecasting can also be extremely useful in targeting scarce funding for surveillance and response, research and training, and emergency production of vaccines, drugs, and diagnostics, in the U.S. and abroad.

While climate forecasting cannot predict exactly where, when, and to what extent outbreaks will occur, current forecast capabilities combined with the state of understanding regarding the links between climate and health can be used in assessing the vulnerability of populations to outbreaks of infectious disease, and in determining the likelihood or risk of epidemics. Even at this early stage, probabilistic climate forecasting can arm public health practitioners with a powerful tool for reducing the morbidity and mortality caused by outbreaks of infectious disease. In this case, as in others, chance favors the prepared mind.

Reply to
Mike hunt

I doubt you would have made a mistake of such magnitude if the subject had been within your areas of expertise.

Why? It's readily available in air and is the most practical and cheap way to inflate tires.

Reply to
Johnny Hageyama