OT: Joe Liebermans views...

"There is something profoundly wrong when opposition to the war in Iraq seems to inspire greater passion than opposition to Islamist extremism.

There is something profoundly wrong when there is so much distrust of our intelligence community that some Americans doubt the plain and ominous facts about the threat to us posed by Iran.

And there is something profoundly wrong when, in the face of attacks by radical Islam, we think we can find safety and stability by pulling back, by talking to and accommodating our enemies, and abandoning our friends and allies.

Some of this wrong- headed thinking about the world is happening because we're in a political climate where, for many people, when George Bush says "yes," their reflex reaction is to say "no."

That is unacceptable."

while i question some of what he said, i do agree that there's something wrong when people are so stubbornly grounded in their hatred for the president that regardless of what he says, they make it their duty to say or do the opposite. our current political polarism has profoundly weakened our country. i think that, more than anything, would be our own downfall if it's not corrected.

Reply to
Go Mavs

--------------------

The entire political agenda of the Democrats has become the Anti-Bush. They have nothing to promote except the opposite of what he says. It is sad that they have no ideas of their own to lift up people and give hope, they merely try to drag everyone down by giving them hell. With all his faults at least George W. Bush is performing his Constitutional duties to the best of his abilities. You would think that the Democrats would have America's best interest in mind, not Al-Qaeda's. I sure hope the next President doesn't make policy based upon fear but upon vision.

Reply to
badgolferman

Maybe they are doing the opposite because the war in Iraq can't be won and is destroying what little influence we have in the region. Do you think that is a possibility, or must it be simple hatred for the president.

Reply to
Geoff

Even if that were true... they never had a chance in Iraq. Democrats immediately were pessimistic about the war and saying they supported the troops was an over statement.

I recall one guy who said he wished for failure in Iraq because they didnt support the war. The hardline democrats were immediately prepared to cause a shift because they knew midterm elections were coming up.

Reply to
Go Mavs

Yup! That's why I like Lieberman. He calls 'em like he sees 'em. And the way a lot of the rest of us do, too.

Remember 9/11? Hey, that was Islamist Extremists!

Another one he hit right on the head. A lot of the Iranian people actually like the US. The President of Iran does not. He is making Nucular weapons. Not good.

I think he hit all the nails right on the head...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I agree with Senator Joe L.

Reply to
dbu.,

I need help with part of that statement. Do you think he means we should not be meeting with those we consider to be enemies? I'm referring to the words "by talking to". Do you see those words in Lieberman's statement, above?

What do you think he meant by "talking to"?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Do you agree with him when he says it's wrong to be talking to our enemies? He said that. Do you agree with that?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Appeasing, giving into their demands to die or convert, paying them off until they ask for more....

Reply to
Leythos

What about meeting with them? Do you think Lieberman disagrees with that, too? He used the words "talking to".

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Meeting with people that have SWORN TO KILL YOU, YOUR KIDS, YOUR GRANDMOTHER, etc... There is no point, they do not want to discuss, they only want to lull you into a trap (believing there is hope).

To delay shooting the rabid dog only endangers others and yourself.

Reply to
Leythos

What about "state sponsors of terrorism"? Do they fall into the category of enemies we should not "talk to"?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You mean like Syria and Iran - no, there is no point in talking to them. They have made their position clear, made their choice, they are not about changing their position, they already made this clear to the world.

Like China and NK, the only thing you will get is word games, to delay any reaction, while they build against you.

Reply to
Leythos

In that case, you need to write a little note to Lieberman and suggest that if he wants to continue working in Washington, he should stay in touch with what's happening in the real world. We are including Iran in "talks" yet again:

BAGHDAD, April 29 - The government of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran announced Sunday that it would attend a regional conference on Iraq later this week, setting the stage for the first cabinet-level meeting between Iran and the United States since the end of 2004.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Did you miss the part about it won't lead to anything, that it's just another delay tactic - if you follow all the meetings we've had, Iran, NK, the leaders of those countries only use them as a delay tactic...

If we meet with them it's just a waste of time, everyone that is honest knows that. I suppose we have to keep up the "Image" and meet with them, but they've already said (Iran) that it's meaningless....

Reply to
Leythos

I wonder why it seems to be working with N. Korea. What do your inside sources tell you about that process?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Nothing is working - what productive thing has come from NK in the last year?

Reply to
Leythos

What are your 3 favorite news sources?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I have several paths for news, some I take with little value, others I take with a good amount of value, and none of them I believe more than 50% of the time.

I monitor CNN, Fox, BBC World News for the MSM (Main Stream Media) view.

I monitor radical faction sites for news related to specific groups.

I monitor a couple message boards related to intel.

The only news I put much faith in is that which I get 1'st person, from a person that was there. I have family in the Military to give me 1st person view from that area....

Reply to
Leythos

If you only trust first person sources, that eliminates 99% of the information available to you. Good luck. Hope the cave is comfortable.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom