OT - McLaughlin Group this AM on the New American Embassy in Iraq...

McLaughlin: What does it lack? Clift: Rationality Another called it "the palace of a conqueror."

"If we're an arrogant nation, they'll resent us; if we're a humble nation, but strong, they'll welcome us." - Bush, 2000 (thanks, JSB)

Yeah, we're a humble nation, all right. And they'll love us for it.

Reply to
dh

Well, if we're not 'humble' now, pretty soon we'll be 'humbled'.

Re: our new embassy, I can't quite understand why, with 50 of Saddam's palaces to choose from, we had to built a new one from the ground up. Hmmm, 'ground up' ....that would quite well describe the state of our nation's exchequer.

Reply to
mack

The real money isn't in its $600 million construction cost but its $1 billion annual operating budget.

I didn't see mention of any public library, and embassy libraries are very important for building good relations with the local citizenry and spreading American ideals.

Reply to
rantonrave

Unless the purpose of the embassy is to be blown up soon after it opens, I doubt they'll be admitting many visitors. And, I don't think its purpose is goodwill. It'll also house our largest CIA station.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Is that a problem?

Reply to
witfal

Not at all. But, that will make the place an interesting target for anyone who wants to disrupt our intelligence collection in the region. I sincerely doubt they'll be letting "folks" wander in to use a library. It *is* the green zone for a reason. Everything outside of that zone remains uncontrollable for any length of time.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That much is certain. Even the Russian FSB would get in on that one.

As does most of everything else there. It's time to realize that this is a losing situation, pack up, and leave. Bush has never read Santana.

Reply to
witfal

I haven't, either. But, I know a couple of people who know when to fold a losing hand, especially when it involves a large, expensive venture.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Sure you have. "Those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it."

Does Vietnam ring a bell? Protracted war? Restricted ROE?

Reply to
witfal

Its not a losing hand when someone else is paying for it and your pals are profiting from it. Good ol boys. ;)

Reply to
F.H.

I think the Spanish-American war is more fun to compare with, especially when non-readers try and justify the war, and claim it's nothing like the current one.

Ship blows up. Building blows up. Result: Soldiers in wrong country.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom