(OT:) My 'admiration' for Ted Kennedy is GONE!

THere have been several times over the past 5 years when I have said the thing Kennedy does right is the work he does for his constituents. We can change that now...

Happy Mother's Day: a friend of mine from Bangalore (You know, the help dek of the world...)wanted her mother to come for a month, in time for Mother's day. Three trips to the US Embassy in India have yielded no results, except for the Embassy...$125 bucks a pop for paperwork processing fees.

The woman (here) is a US Citizen, so I told her to call Kennedy's office.

"We're sorry, the Senator doesn't want to get involved in anything like that."

OK, Ted. Your only use is exhausted. Leave, please.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Maybe if you send him a bottle of scotch....

Reply to
badgolferman

Have they started grooming another kennedy to replace him? Any speculation?

Reply to
dbu

Does the mother already have an American passport?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

As always, Hachiroachie leaves out most of the causal details to make some rightwingnut point.

========================

Looks like getting an Indian tourist visa is a piece of cake for American citizens, unless you're a moron and wait till the last minute:

My guess is the daughter came up with this idea at the last minute, and she's trying to get her mother a passport really fast. I believe there are emergency procedures in place for things like sudden illness, but "duh I forgot" probably isn't going to get anyone a passport quickly.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'm thinking maybe she wasn't complete in her description of the Kennedy office response. In my own experience, a junior staffer usually handles all of these types of complaints by generating a quick letter to the agency involved. That makes it a priority at the agency and the case gets some attention. I can't imagine any congressional office saying what is purported here. jor

Reply to
jor

Man, you just like to attack, don't you?

Let me put this more specifically. In the past 5 years in this group, when people ask how Kennedy keeps getting elected, I answer that he takes care of his contituents.

In this case, it is a bit of a hardship for the woman to leave the US. She can go, but that's it. It means, for yet another year, Grandma won't be able to see her granddaughters. She has *NEVER* seen her granddaughters. It was a mater of shipping one person here from India, or shipping three from here to India. Sending three people is out of the question.

The woman is 67 years old, and has no intention of staying in the US. So, again, the granddaughters get left behind.

Now, how does that make me self-centered? I don't get that one. It's not my mother that wants to come for a visit.

And when did I ever say I was a Bush supporter?

Reply to
hachiroku +O+A+m+/

Nothing yet...

There are a couple Republicans running for the office. Kerry has announced this is his last term.

Reply to
hachiroku

They won't grant her a US passport. She has one from India.

Reply to
hachiroku

As usual, Carnak, you're wrong. This has been going on since last summer.

The US Embassy won't grant a 67 year old woman a visa to visit her Granddaughters. No explanayion, just a flat "No".

Three of her friends have already come and gone. I think the US thinks this woman will try to stay here and become a 'burden' on the US.

But, we have Ted Kennedy singing in Spanish to illegals in LA and appearing in rallies for illegals screaming "Hasta la victoria!" That's ok, I guess.

Reply to
hachiroku +O+A+m+/

I kind of paraphrased it (Now I have to get ready for JSB's attacks...) But basically, that was the response.

Reply to
hachiroku

See my response to JSB. Kennedy is bending over backwards to help illegals get US citizenship, but won't help Granny come to the US to see her granddaughters.

Must be because she won't be staying, and therefore won't become a voter.

Reply to
hachiroku +O+A+m+/

Please read this article and let me know your reaction. You might even manage to notice a pattern which includes what your friend's mother is experiencing.

JoeSpareBedroom

Understandable, but the problem Hach is describing has nothing to do with Kennedy. He will realize this after he read the article I provided for him.

Or, maybe he won't. Or, he'll pretend not to.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That's why Ed Syphilis is on my blocked list, too. Knee-jerk left liberals go to the list. I've heard their stuff before and again and again and again.

Remember when they used to rail at Ronny Ray-Gun?

Charles the Curmudgeon

Reply to
<n5hsr

Must be profiling. She's not wearing a Burkah...

Reply to
hachiroku

I know the barriers to immigration to the US. Even when it comes to visits, it's tough.

The point of the original post is that Kennedy, who is standing up for illegals and wants to give them rights and benefits (he was behind legislature that said, if you are using someone else's SSI number, and retire, you get part of the benefits from the real person's SSI!!!) won't do anything to help an older woman see her grandkids. The *ONLY* thing he had going for him was standing up for the people of the Commonwealth, and now he's not doing that.

Time to go, Ted!

Reply to
hachiroku +O+A+m+/

He started early...

hachiroku +O+A+m+/

Might be time for Kennedy to go for other reasons, but not because his office can't help the woman with the problem you described. The point of the NYT article, which you completely missed, is that the Department of Homeland Insecurity has turned our passport & visa system into a black hole from which nobody can get information sometimes. When I say "nobody", I mean not even senior congressmen who, after many years in office, should be able to make almost anything happen for a constituent.

If you are really annoyed with the woman's problems, you will write to the appropriate politicians. But, it has nothing to do with Kennedy.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Irrelevant. Hach posted the booze thing because he just realized that his original post was badly researched and he didn't have a leg to stand on. So, he resorts to insults.

At least he did this quickly so the thread can die a quick death.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom