Nail in tire - unfixable???

I'm wondering if these guys are just trying to sell me a new tire, or what?

One of my snow tires looked a little low, so I took them all in anyway to get swapped out for the summer tires today and asked them to check it, and fix it if necessary.

They said it was a nail in the tread, but being it wasn't in the very center of the tread, more towards the outside of where the tread meets the road, that the tire is "unfixable" and I should buy a new one ( from them ) next fall.

Is this true or just a trick they may use on gullible women?

Reply to
Sarah Houston

Holes where the sidewall meets the outer tread are usually not repairable because the patch won't stick.

Reply to
Ray O

They always suggest you need new tires.. even when they still have 10,000 miles left on them. It is their job to sell tires.

Reply to
Don't Taze Me, Bro!

Yeah but this guy was telling me it was about 2/3 the way out on the tread. Sounded fishy.

I'm gonna check out the mark he says he put on it and see.

I posted here awhile back, about a tire shop that was doing an oil change for me and told me that my head gasket was "leaking pretty good".

They gave me a $2000 written estimate to repair it.

BUT I checked my coolant levels and it's been a few months now and they're the same!

I get tired of people wanting to blow smoke up my...er...skirt and rip me off.

Reply to
Sarah Houston

I would try a different shop.

Reply to
Tomes

Discount Tire and other big chains define a pretty narrow area of the tire as fixable. Smaller shops will often repair a flat that the big guys define as unrepairable. Good luck. jor

Reply to
jor

A lot depends on what type of tire it is and exactly where the puncture is located. Sometimes a nail or screw will go through right at the edge of the tread and the typical cheap-and-dirty plug won't stay in the puncture. But if they dismount the tire and use a patch on the inside, it will be okay. The problem is that the tire flexes a lot more at the edge than in the middle of the tread.

Tire stores aren't really in business to fix flats, they don't make any money on a tire repair. Most of them will do simple jobs that don't take a lot of time hoping you'll come to them when you buy new tires. But if they spend 1/2 hour on the repair and charge you $25, they just about broke even.

Reply to
Retired VIP

Depends on where it is. If it's close to the sidewall then a plug or patch won't stay.

If it is in the flat part of the tread, it should be repairable.

Reply to
hach

Stop taking your car to tire shops. Find an independent general mechanic. Ask everyone you know if they have a shop they've been pleased with for a long period of time.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom