OT- old technology

I think nearly *everybody* finds that strange. And annoying.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Then wait until you are AT HOME, then E MAIL THEM, already!! I strongly doubt that even 1% of cell phone texting concerns an emergency.

Reply to
sharx35

I have to agree with your cell phone observation. Besides, we KNOW that you REALLY have your cell on vibrate, most of the time.

Reply to
sharx35

I, unfortunately, am on call basically 24/7 this time of year. I'm support for our little company and it's often better if they call me and interrupt something. If they wait until Monday, there's usually a huge mess for me to undo. It's Ham Season. and we make tons of those spiral sliced hams like Honey Baked Ham sells. Right now we also have another big seller and that is meatballs. So we're working Saturdays and Sundays starting in September and probably all the way through the Super Bowl.

I've had a cell phone since '98. I don't even have a phone at my apartment anymore, just the darned cell phone.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

I pity you. I used to carry a pager back in the 80's and was constantly getting calls from the Pentagon guards when one of the alarm systems I maintained was acting up. Everytime that thing went off it was all I could do not to hurl it against the wall. Maybe that is why I am so much against personal communication devices. Those things are basically leashes. Regular phones and answering machines work fine. What did people do before cell phones?

Reply to
badgolferman

Ive no idea which bit of my post you are referring to. I assume you mean the dropping of face-to-face conversations. In that case no, its not an emergency, but i have a lot of contacts who only have a 10-20 minute window in which i can speak to them to organise something that night or for the next week. At least one of whom isnt emailable or in mobile/phone range when not at work (amazing in this day and age in mainland UK).

Dont assume that your way of life and personal phone usage is the same as everyone elses!

As for texts - again, why stop, find a computer or stop, call and interrupt someone doing something (again, such as being at work) when you can send a text that they can read when they get chance.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

I used to just let the answer machine deal with the supposed frantic calls from my boss. Being on call 24/7 was NOT in my job description and I wasn't paid hardly enough to justify more than 40 hours a week, in my opinion. Invariably, it turned out to NOT be an emergency. He usually ended up calling in one of the wage employees which he hated to do as it involved following the union contract and paying overtime.

Reply to
sharx35

Most of your shit is NOT an emergency life or death situation. Deal with it. You are NOT indispensable.

Reply to
sharx35

Are you as thick as pig shit? Where did I say anything was an emergency? And at what point did someone rule that you could only use phones or break conversations for an emergency? lol jeeeze you talk some s**te.

Reply to
Coyoteboy