(OT:) Panhandler...

There's a guy I pass every day that stands out on a traffic island with a sigh explaining he's homeless and needs help. I see a lot of people handing him money.

I also notice a 4-Runner parked closeby. When he's not there, neither is it...

At the other end of the stretch of road, there's another guy standing on a traffic island, with a similar sign. I haven't noticed any vehicles parked nearby, but

He's in front of a Wal*Mart. And a Barnes and Noble. And an appliance store. One that does very well. A Midas. A Jiffy Lube. And across the street, they're building what will be one of the biggest Home Depots in the state. Lots of contruction going on. They just started.

Why, I bet there's about 100 jobs within a 10 minute walk of where he stands!

But, as Howie Carr once said, two panhandlers were sharing a corner in Boston. They also shared a $175,000 home in Rhode Island, and made a six-figure 'income' between the two of them...

Reply to
Hachiroku

panhandling is lucrative.... they found a girl in slc making atleast 26k a year for a few hours of panhandling....

Don't Taze Me, Bro!

I'm guessing that one's self-esteem takes a hit when one panhandles, more than offsetting the bucks it rakes in. Interesting that people would be satisfied panhandling, when jobs are available that would supply an actual paycheck. (of course, panhandling is not a taxable occupation unless you're really motivated to pay taxes.)

Reply to
mack

A few months ago the local newpaper interviewed several of the local panhandlers - their income was amazing and I doubt if they'd overstate it. from what I remember the 500-1000/week was common.

Ron

Reply to
ron

I've got an idea. We'll trade each illegal immigrant willing to work and send the host country one of our panhandlers.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

What a tempting career to get into. They never get anything from me. Every time a stranger comes up to me and asks for money, I'm like, "I was just about to ask if I could borrow some from you."

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

This is actually a pretty neat idea...

Reply to