OK, THAT was a CLOSE ONE!!!

So, while tesing the Subaru wagon, the only way to really test it is to drive it. It will sit at idle, high idle, and high revs for HOURS and not overheat, but put it on the road and the overheating starts.

So, I had a valid registration for the car, so I took the plates off the '89 Subaru and put them on the Legacy. (Notice, I said I had a valid registration for the car. I *HAD* a valid registration for the car...until I transferred the plates to the '89!!!)

So I'm hitting all the back roads, and drove for a while, and didn't have any overheating. OK, let's call it a day and go home. I get close to home, minding the speed limit, other traffic, the high beams, etc all the way. Well, one more time around the course. I take a 'detour' go down to a cross road and wind up 5 miles from home. I take that road back to the main road near my house. Still not overheating...take a left to go home, or take a right and go around again.

I take a right...

Go back up the road 5 more miles, everything's OK, NO traffic, and I get to where I can turn around and go back, but I go straight. Turn left onto the 'state highway', and get up to 50. Everything's good, but there's a car coming up behind me. About 2 MPH over the speed limit, and I remember what a cop friend told me...DON'T SLOW DOWN! He said if you're slightly over the limit, and you slow to the limit or lower, then I'll think you're drunk, or hiding something. I keep it at 42. NOW it starts overheating. REALLY overheating! It looks like a truck behind me, but I'll just keep going.

There's a bar about 4 miles ahead. If I can just get there I should be OK. Three miles... Two miles...temp guage stuck to the ceiling... One mile... It's around this corner...

I put on my turn signal, maybe a little too soon, (I have the engine shut off since it's a slight downhill...), I FINALLY get to the entrance and see the place is CLOSED!

Then I see the 'truck' that was behind me. I wasn't a truck...it's a Crown Victoria...with a star on the door and a light bar on top. He slows as he passes the place, then turns in the other entrance...

Think Fast! "I'm just testing the car after a repair and it started overheating..." Hope he doesn't call it in...take it EASY! He sidles up and then drives right past, and goes to the back of the parking lot. TIME TO GO HOME!!! I restart the engine, and slide out of the parking lot. Check the rearview... he's gone all the way to the back of the parking lot and stopped there.

I get to the intersection, no one behind me. DAMN this thing overheating!!! I DON'T CARE!!! It's time to GET HOME! There's another road up ahead he can come out of and 'surprise' me...NOPE!!! Four miles home, park the damn car and leave it!!! Still driving the limit all the way, damn the overheating.

I parked the car in the garage and painted it white like you told me to...

Reply to
Hachiroku

lol good story... Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Sometimes I just don't seem to do the right thing...

Reply to
Hachiroku