OT Restaurant Quality Roles

If you're going to be making a home meal today to celebrate the holiday, and you'd like inexpensive light rolls just like the basket of rolls you get at your favorite restaurant, here's a recipe that's sure to please. Don't be alarmed at the extended kneading time. It's necessary for flavor and texture.

Warm 5 ounces of water (by weight) to 90 degrees (if you have a microwave oven with a temperature probe, and you can set it as low as 90 degrees this would be great. Absolutely do not go over 90 degrees. The yeast will poop out sooner than it should).

In a large bowl, add the warmed water and add 1 tablespoon of solid vegetable shortening. Add 3/4 teaspoon of kosher or regular table salt. Add 1 1/2 tablespoon of granulated white sugar. Add 9 ounces (by weight) bread flour. Create a small well and either add to the shallow well a little less than

1/2 the amount of yeast from a .25 oz packet, or using a postage scale, weigh .1 oz of yeast.

Slowly stir everything for about 3 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl. Knead for 22 minutes. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Gently press down once, cover, let stand another 10 minutes. Remove dough ball. Pull small amounts away from the main dough ball, roll between palms of your hands to form little balls (about 1 inch in diameter), and place them on a minimally greased ( or just use parchment paper) cookie sheet. Place sheet in oven and let rise for 75 minutes or until double in size. Do not remove rolls from oven. Set oven temperature to 275 degrees. Bake for 50 minutes, or less when tops of rolls lightly brown. Expect about 12 or more deliciously lighter-than-air rolls. Cover them with a cloth but don't enclose them in any type of air tight bag. Moisture will form and ruin it all. After dinner, if there's any rolls left, you can put them in an air tight bag.

You can enhance the 75 minute rise by placing a bowl of warm water underneath the rack the rolls are on but make sure you remove the bowl of water when you turn on the oven to bake. Alternatively, if your oven has a light, the light could give off enough heat and do nearly the same as the bowl of warm water. Do what you think is best.

Enjoy!

Reply to
mark digital©

Mark,

Have you ever considered publishing a book of your recipes or getting a show on the Food Network?

Reply to
Ray O

Interesting note about the yeast, I know from brewing and winemaking temps need to be kept down. Yet if you look at a packet of Red Star yeast they talk about temps of 110 to 120. I suppose they figure the container will cool the liquid or maybe dry yeast can stand a higher temp. Do you really knead it for 22 minutes?

Regarding "5 ounces of water (by weight)", I think you can't go wrong either way here. What's the expression, "A pint's a pound the world around." or some such silliness?

Thanks,

gtb

Reply to
gtb

I don't have a shtick. Thanks for the compliment though.

Reply to
mark digital©

I try to minimize cleanup by not using measuring spoons and measuring cups. A 1/4 cup of water is four ounces either way but you know as well as I do extra water can be in there without overflowing. So, if you weigh it on an accurate digital scale, then you and I are on the same page. What we can't be guaranteed of is how your room humidity and my room humidity will affect the mechanics of a particular recipe. So, if you think you need to add a few

*drops* of water, go ahead. Recipes where yeast is added directly to water normally ask for 85 degree liquid and where it's added to dry ingredients first, usually higher around 100 to 120. If I said to warm the water to 110 degrees then the amount of water necessary would be closer to 6 1/2 ounces. Problem is, if you dilly dally and the water drops down to 85 degrees you end up with a wet glob. Follow the 5 ounce amount and the heat from your hands will gently bring the temp up, and by then the yeast will have *woken up* and the dough should become elastic and easy to work with. 22 minutes? Yes, but do it in a relaxing fashion. No need (pun?) to break a sweat.

One more thing. I want to avoid using additional flour (keep things from sticking) because that's another variable amount being introduced and can change the final texture.

Reply to
mark digital©

A man after my own heart! My wife seems to believe in using a clean utensil, bowl, or pan for each ingredient!

Reply to
Ray O

You know you're in trouble when she keeps two sets of everything, one for milk and one for meat. . . .

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

Fortunately for the person who does the dishes, we do not have that requirement in our house!

Reply to
Ray O

I have one pet peeve. Imagine going through all the trouble of making a meal so everything arrives at the same time. All the hot foods are on the counter and everybody takes turns serving themselves. You're sitting at the table. You look up and see all the freakin hot food uncovered!! How much effort is it to put the covers back on so the food stays warm?? Actually, I do have another pet peeve. I'm asked if I want milk with my meal and I say yes, thank you. I serve myself, sit down, and there's no milk! Everyone else has got their milk. I don't even get a glass! When I call everybody to the table I expect people to take a seat and not roam around. I think to myself, I've thought of everything so sit your a$$ down. Someone starts to get up. What the heck do you need? Nothing, I hear. Cat wants to be fed. Sheesh!

Reply to
mark digital©

Please get help....WBMA...

jeez you are TOO much....LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Is your wife a member of the Jewish faith? ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

A 1/4 cup is equal to 2 ounces. (Knowing liquid volume conversions by heart is part of my job)

Reply to
Truckdude

I was thinking tablespoons. Thanks for the correction.

Reply to
mark digital©