{OT} Summer of...

When I was a kid we had walkie-talkies. Maybe this explains why, although I have a cell phone, I don't walk around with it yaking away. We used to build tree forts way up high and make up all sorts of stories to pass the summer away. I suppose that's why I'm good with a hammer and nails. My feet are firmly planted on the ground too.

There seems to be a timeline missing today. Seems only God knows how many adults skipped right over many of the fun things they should have experienced, and now are acting them out. Terrorists come to mind.

The stakes are higher and the allowances they get are huge. I suppose if given a choice between holding down a job or joining a gang and making up secret plans, the adult who is missing those childhood memories will grab the latter.

So I say instead of sending captured terrorist to jail how about we give them hammers and nails and blueprints to build tree houses? We could even supply them with dresser drawers that have a bottom drawer large enough for all their socks and underwear and girlie books. Probably wouldn't hurt to let them have fireworks. You know, just to get it out of their systems before they "grow up" and do some real harm.

Reply to
mark digital©

When I was a kid, maybe about 13, I built a radio transmitter. It was not licensed, but I played music, read the news and my mother played piano while I held the microphone inside next to the hammers. It was fun stuff until the local ham radio op and owner of the radio and TV repair shop told me I'd better get off the air or be tossed in jail. I had good coverage.

Reply to
,dbu.,

Try to find a kid nowadays who could build one, let alone know what one was. I had a crystal radio receiver with an antenna stretched out to the clothesline. And I remember later on how cool it was to have a radio with more transistors than my friends. Oh how I coveted that little box. I'd fall asleep with it under my pillow. We've seen a lot of technology come and go haven't we? Just the other day I went to buy a document scanner and had to go to another sister store that had the one I wanted in stock. When the manager was on the phone trying to locate one he cupped the phone and said "We don't carry many stand alone scanners anymore because everyone is into the all in ones." My first thought was how we got away from the all in one's because if one thing died the whole thing was pretty much useless.

Reply to
mark digital