P0141 still being set

compatible?

problem?

site:

> But it says that they're $300. Is that what I should expect to pay?> > And which one would I need to select?>

part:

Sorry for posting so many times about the same thing, but after a little research I found out that the ECU for a 1.6L and 1.8L are different and also the ECU for a manual and an automatic are different. So I was able to find this one for a 1.8L manual Toyota Corolla (mine is a 1.8L manual Geo Prizm):
guy told me that I needed to check the model number on the ECU. Iwould have to pull a ton of stuff off to be able to see the sticker onthe ECU and I would rather not do that, so does anyone know of anotherway for me to check if this ECU would be compatible?Thanks, Dave

Reply to
davejohansen

compatible?

problem?

site:

> > But it says that they're $300. Is that what I should expect to pay?> > > And which one would I need to select?>

part:

Prizm):

The guy told me that I needed to check the model number on the ECU. I> would have to pull a ton of stuff off to be able to see the sticker on> the ECU and I would rather not do that, so does anyone know of another> way for me to check if this ECU would be compatible?> Thanks,

Maybe email your VIN # and other pertinent details to the local Geo/ Chevy dealer? I would imagine they could reference a part # and/or cross reference...

Reply to
mrsteveo

There will be a part number on the ECU, and any replacement ECU should have an exact match. I do not know if an ECU for a Corolla is compatible with the one for a Prism, so I would stick with one for a Prism. As MrStevo suggested, your local Chevy/Geo dealer may be able to provide a part number and cost for a new one so you have a reference to go buy when shopping for a used one.

Reply to
Ray O

I actually called them and asked them what the cost for a new one is and they said that it is $495, so I would prefer to be able to find a used one. But I'll give them another call and see if they can give me the part number. Thanks, Dave

Reply to
davejohansen

compatible?

problem?

site:

> > > But it says that they're $300. Is that what I should expect to pay?> > > > And which one would I need to select?>

part:

Prizm):

> The guy told me that I needed to check the model number on the ECU. I> > would have to pull a ton of stuff off to be able to see the sticker on> > the ECU and I would rather not do that, so does anyone know of another> > way for me to check if this ECU would be compatible?> > Thanks,

I was able to get the part number from the Chevy dealer by giving them the last 8 digits of my VIN, so that worked out great.

Also, the owner of one of the eBay sites recommended that I check out this website:

I was able to find an ECU for $59 plus shipping there, so I would recommend checking out that site in the future for anyone looking for a tough to find replacement part. Thanks again for all the help and I'll let everyone know if this finally fixes my problem, Dave

Reply to
davejohansen

Make sure the wire harness doesn't have any extraneous grounding wires or cuts in the insulation before you install the replacement ECU.

good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Speaking of, I found an ECU out of boredom on eBay that appears to match specs / part #'s with my current one. They only wanted $5.00 + $20 shipping. I figured I would buy it since it was cheap. Doubt I would ever need it.

Anyway, they claim it should be fine and such. Seems a little odd it was so cheap.

So, since I have never seen one... are they easy to hook up to an electrical source? I'd love to hook one up and get some software and the stuff for my laptop and actually play with one... that I can't harm.

Or if that's too much hassle -- perhaps just save it in case I ever happen to need it.

Reply to
mrsteveo

The ECU is silver, about the size of an external CD player, and about an inch and a half thick.

They are not that easy to hook up to an electrical source since the connector is not something you come across at Radio Shack.

If you are going to store it, put it in a zip lock bag along with some desiccant bags and store it in a cool dry place.

Reply to
Ray O

OK, so I finally got around to replacing the ECU with the new one and it still comes up with code P0141. I guess that it's possible, but I doubt that both of the ECUs have the exact same problem to bring up the same code, so I'm guessing that the problem is somewhere else. I'm completely stumped and about ready to just give up and take it to the dealer. Anyone else have any ideas/suggestions before I do that? Thanks again for all the help, Dave

Reply to
davejohansen

Well, I am no expert but doesn't that refer to one of your oxygen sensors? RayO would know more but there are ways to test them. I don't know if you have multiple sensors in your car or not. Usually you have two. One before the cat and one after the cat. I believe PO141 probably refers to a specific sensor. From there, you can do certain tests to verify whether or not the sensor(s) are bad or the cat is bad. Probably just a bad/delayed/faulty O2 sensor that just needs replaced.

I believe I had that code and my front O2 sensor was bad. Replaced it and that code went away.

Reply to
mrsteveo

The description of the code is "Post-convertor O2 Sensor heater or circuit fault" and I have actually tried replacing the O2 Sensor with a Bosch and a Denso replacement part and neither of those fixed the problem. I did tests to make sure that the wiring was fine and it all appears to be ok, so that's why I'm stuck without any ideas of how to fix it but I'm definitely open to any and all suggestions. Dave

Reply to
davejohansen

Can you verify whether the cat is good? Cats rarely go bad but I suppose it's possible. It may even be under warranty as I think they have an 8 year, 100k mile warranty or something.

After you replaced the O2 sensor, did you reset the computer so that it can re-calibrate?

Reply to
mrsteveo

I actually had the cat changed during this whole process and I have cleared the computer and unplugged the battery several times and the code always comes back. Dave

Reply to
davejohansen

Where are you located?

Reply to
Ray O

To answer your questions, I'm in Tucson, AZ.

But as an update, I took my car to the dealer this week and they said that they ran some diagnostics on the old ECU and the new one that I had put in. The diagnostics showed that they were both bad. I had them put a new one in and the car is now running fine with no codes. Unfortunately, it cost $500 for the new ECU, but I was sick of dealing with the problem and I'm glad that the problem is finally fixed.

Thanks again everyone for all of the help, Dave

Reply to
davejohansen

You should consider playing the lottery if you ended up with 2 bad ECU's.

Reply to
mrsteveo

We just moved this last week and you don't even want to know half of the list of "bad luck" that's happened to us during that whole process, so may I should go buy a lottery ticket just hoping that a run of "good luck" will even it out.

But the most frustrating part is that if the ECU I had gotten was fine, then I'd be $800 richer right now. But I guess that's just the way the cookie crumbles and at least my car is finally working again. Dave

Reply to
davejohansen

Dave,

Thank you for the update. It is good to hear that the problem is solved, and I hope it is a sign of a run of great luck for you.

If you were in the Chicago area, I would have looked at the car myself.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks and I am very grateful to everyone that helped me out during this process. It's been a little frustrating at times, but I've learned a lot and I definitely couldn't have done it without all of the help from everyone here. Dave

Reply to
davejohansen

Ray you tried to help people and I'm all for that. It's just that with your automotive background and still not know how to properly diagnose this problem was a disappointment.

For example, Dave didn't need to get that third (?) Denso sensor at all or even any new sensor now that the problem seems to be with the ECU. And I hope Dave didn't use the parts store as a test bench. ;-)

Reply to
johngdole