Plug Wires...OEM or NGK?

I ordered a gasket, cap, rotor and valve cover gaskets from Champion Toyota in Texas. The wires are $85...they're going to have to wait for another day.

"No Name" wires (I'm assuming they're Toyota) are selling various places on the Web for $81, but NGKs can be had for $68.

IIRC, the OEMs are NGKs, so would the off the rack NGKs be OK? I'm sort of on a budget here...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I don't know if you have any lead makers in your area, but my dad had to get leads for his Celica and he went to the local maker.

He got 16mm low resistance fully supressed leads made in about 10 mins for the car. They had all of the right connections so they look factory and only cost about half what Toyota was selling the normal 8mm leads for.

Nick

Reply to
Nicholas Bourne

Wow. I have seen 'kits' you buy off the rack, where you cut the wire to the proper length and crimp the end on (they weren't TOO bad...) but I can't think of anyone around here...! I've never heard of it before!

Reply to
Hachiroku

OEM could be NGK or Denso. Off the shelf NGKs should be OK.

Reply to
Ray O

Might be worth having a look for, The guy for my dad's area supplies car clubs, race teams, Drag racing schools, etc as well as the general public. Ask some of the local car clubs if they know of anybody. They are great wires, infact they did give trouble with the timing light's trigger it was just that bit harder to get the light to fire after they were put on. Mind you it could also be an OZ only thing

Reply to
Nicholas Bourne

Interesting revelation today. I was looking for NGK wires off the shelf at local parts stores, but nobody had them. Then, in one store I noticed the Accel plugs said "U-Groove". Hmmmm...U-Groove, huh? Sure enough, on the back of the package, it said "U-Groove is a trademark of Denso. Made in Japan, Packaged in USA."

Soooo...I wonder if their wires are Denso, also?

Reply to
Hach

Ya know, I was thinking about this. I ordered a set of NGK's off E-Bay (same stock number as all the others I've seen for this car) and then it hit me...

The last 4 sets of OEM Toyota wires I bought from the dealer were Sumitomos...

Reply to
Hachiroku