Problem shifting into reverse

I have an '03 Toyota Camry 4-cyl. (a made in Japan model) with 5-speed manual tranny. Has about 30K (most of it highway).

Recently it has been more and more likely to be reluctant to shift into reverse. Having driving manuals for 30+ years, I know most of the tricks -- shift into first, move forward a bit and try again, shift into fifth and don't move and then shift into reverse, etc.

But, on two recent occassions, I had the need to back-up quickly -- the most recent being an "older" driver who for some reason decided to back into my car as we were both sitting waiting for the stoplight to change. Had I been able to get into reverse quickly, I would have avoided the crash (which caused no damage, but still...).

Anyway, I don't understand the mechanics of this problem, which I had have in all my manual tranny cars to a greater or lesser extent. Can someone explain it. Is there a -- CHEAP -- way to help make this less of an issue?

Reply to
timbirr

I'll bet you have a radial bearing that is going bad, causing a miss alignment.

At least that is what we have been finding in Toyotas five speed manual trannys, that are hard to get into gear. I would take it to a dealership. Toyota is aware of the problem. It starts to occurs at about 30K to 35

mike hunt

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

How many miles on the clutch? Have you checked the fluid level for the clutch? If the clutch cannot fully disengage, it would make shifting into reverse more difficult. The forward gears are somewhat more forgiving.

Reply to
ma_twain

ma_twain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com:

I wouldn't even try to help this dolt. He's posted this exact same question to rec.autos.tech, and has been corresponding with the posters there. Let them do the donkey work.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Well, yes I did post the "exact same question" there. Now, I may be off on my "net manners," I don't pretend to know all the rules, I believed that "crossposting," which I know is frowned upon, involved posting so that the exact same post goes to several groups and collects answers in a willy-nilly fashion from those groups.

I believe, and if looks as if I may be wrong, that posting individually to each group, without crossing that exact same post to other groups is acceptable. I'll look at the FAQ's again. As I say, I am not perfect, and if I erred, I apologize, but hey, we all make mistakes. It's when you continue to make the same mistake that you become a dolt. ;>)

Reply to
timbirr