Procedure for changing transmission fluid

I tried to drain the auto trans fluid and refill it, but it goes back to dirty for a short time, say 2 months. Is any specific procedure for changing the fluid? I heard someone saying that I need to wash the transmission by the new transmission fluid for a few times, how?

Thanks in advance Sam

Reply to
Samuel

You don't say what model (really not that important) or How many miles (REALLY IMPORTANT!)

If it is a newer car and has had somewhat routine service, you can try having the transmission flushed. Some say, if the trans has been serviced regularly this is OK, but I still shy away, since they use a base of DexronII-Mercon with 'modifiers' for other types like Chrysler ATF+3 or +4. Not my idea of a good job...I have also personally seen two older Escort trannies go belly up after being flushed, having never had service before.

There are about 12-16 QTS of fluid. Changing out 3-4 at a time at least gets fresh fluid in there, and replenishes the friction modifiers and detergents.

If you're really nervous about it, drive for 3-7,000 miles, and do it again! It will take about 5-6 changes to change out about 50% of the tranny fluid.

A word: If your transmission fluid is BLACK, it is probably NOT a good idea to change too much of it at once. See that Black stuff? THAT is mostly what is providing the friction for the car to move!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

My car is 2004 Corolla 1ZZ-FE engine, I am a driving instructor, so I've already driven the car for 120000km within 2 years!!

"Hachiroku" ???????:ECQUg.1763$We.636@trndny08...

Reply to
Samuel