Quick help on a stop light switch

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could confirm a rough price for replacing a

1988 toyota corolla executive (UK) stop light switch. Personally i would have thought it would cost about =A310-=A320. Is this right. I am about to get the car MOT'd and yesterday noticed the lights weren't working (not the fuse, not the bulbs).

I am more a bike man myself so I know how easy these things are to fit. Is it the same in the car. I mean, is the unit somewhere accessible from inside the car behind the pedal lever? If it is, does anyone know somewhere I can buy 1 in London?

Thank you all for your time and help.

Mark

Reply to
markdibley

I was wondering if anyone could confirm a rough price for replacing a

1988 toyota corolla executive (UK) stop light switch. Personally i would have thought it would cost about £10-£20. Is this right. I am about to get the car MOT'd and yesterday noticed the lights weren't working (not the fuse, not the bulbs).

I am more a bike man myself so I know how easy these things are to fit. Is it the same in the car. I mean, is the unit somewhere accessible from inside the car behind the pedal lever? If it is, does anyone know somewhere I can buy 1 in London?

Thank you all for your time and help.

Mark

Sorry, I'm not that up on prices for brake light switches but your guesses are probably not that far off.

A brake light switch is fairly easy to check and replace. It is accessible from inside the car behind the pedal lever. Unplug the switch and use a continuity tester or ohm meter to check for continuity when the switch plunger is depressed, then check for 12 volts coming out of the switch when the plunger is depressed.

A more common cause for lack of brake lights is a loose ground in the trunk somewhere.

Reply to
Ray O