Replacing a Stop light in a 2001 Corolla.

Hey all,

The brake lights in our 2001 Corolla are out, and the fuse is good, so we've decided that it's the Stop-Light-Switch (or Mutli-function- switch, in most american cars). We've got the new switch, but I can't seem to figure out where it goes. Does anyone here know?

Thanks in advance.

-- benny

Reply to
Benny

Benny,

A volt/ohm meter will help you diagnose all sorts of electrical problems, and is a good investment for under $40 at Radio Shack.

I have never heard of the stop light switch in a Toyota failing, so I doubt if the switch in yours is bad. The switch is mounted above the brake pedal, and with a volt/ohm meter, you can check it for continuity when the pedal is depressed. Most places will not allow you to return electrical parts, but hopefully, you will be able to if it is still in the original packaging and has not been installed.

If the tail lights work but the brake lights do not, then the first thing to check are the bulbs. Are the left, right, and center high mounted stop lamp all not working? If any one out of the three brake lights is working, then the brake light switch is good. With the meter, check for voltage at the bulb sockets. If you get 12 volts at the socket when the brake light is depressed and the negative lead for the meter on a ground like the trunk latch, then the ground for the lights is loose or disconnected. You can look for the ground point and check it or just run a new ground wire. Also look for corrosion in the bulb sockets and cuts in the wire where it passes from the trunk lid to the body.

Reply to
Ray O

The mutli-function switch is NOT the problem. The switch that eliminates the stop lights is mounted above the brake pedal. I would check for proper adjustment and continuity before replacing it however.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter