Re: Camry wins NASCAR in Atlanta

Mike hunt wrote:

>> For the past ten years, NASCAR has always been about the onwers, drivers and >> crews, not the cars or the name on the hood LOL > >Really? Then why did M&M/Mars pay millions of dollars to sponsor the >winning car? And why do Toyota, Ford, GM and Dodge pay millions of >dollars to sponsor cars? > >NASCAR is all about making money. And the people who sponsor cars, >including Toyota, think that people buy more cars if their name is on >the car. I am sure they have good reason to. > >Jeff >

Yes, you're right Jeff. NASCAR is about money. But the car that won at Atlanta isn't a Toyota. It never saw a single Toyota part, it isn't configured like a Toyota, it isn't even the same size as a Toyota. The same holds true for Ford, GM and Dodge. They are all the same car, just have different decals stuck on them. NASCAR called it "The Car of Tomorrow".

I wonder how long it will be before they give up on trying to make folks believe they are somehow related to what's parked in your garage?

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

They still call it the "Car of Tomorrow."

Even though the cars are not Toyotas in any sense, people still see that Toyota won the race. It makes Toyota seem to be a sportier company.

The exact same thing is true of the other types of racing in which Toyota participates.

I don't think any of them do that, other than to call the car the "M&Ms Camry" or whatever. It doesn't take much to figure out that the cars share no parts with production cars, except the odd nut and bolt.

Reply to
Jeff