NASCAR a Ripoff!

National Stock Car....not a damn thing stock about it....anymore. We as spectators want to see REAL stock cars slightly modified going around a track like we saw in previous years! Now what we see is a totally ground up built race car with not eve a single original bolt. The old saying used to be "Win Races on Sunday and Sell Cars on Monday" simply because buyers of those cars could see what they were buying right on the track. NASCAR now has so many damn rules on safety, phoniness, fakeness and expense that only millionaires can only afford to race. Screw all the safety crap, spectators don't watch races just to get dizzy seeing cars go in circle...they watch to see the wrecks and crackups knowing someone could get killed. Lets face it NASCAR its a risky sport and goes with the territory. Nascar is no longer a Nascar, ask Richard Petty and how he and those before him drove real Nascars where danger and excitement truly was. They bought cars off the showroom floor and slightly modified them for the track. It was when the average joe could afford to get on the track and see what his racer would do. NASCAR is now a phoney fake rich mans sport who have the nerve to pass off miilion dollar ground up built race car as a stock car. No wonder American companies can no longer sell cars, people see the phoniness on Sunday so on Monday they say screw it and go out and buy a Toyota.

Reply to
Tommy Bastogne

Keith Stelter

How old are you? When do you think "Cup Cars" were even slightly related to what you could buy? The chassis stopped being related to stock cars in the late 60's. The engines stopped being related to stock cars in the 70's. The bodies quit being anything like stock cars in the 90's. Nextel Cup racers are special built race cars like most other commerically sucessful race series. I think NASCAR is a little more restrictive than most other series since the NASCAR rules now pretty much say everything is illegal unless it is specifically authorized. When you get down to issuing spec stocks to teams for a race, you know it is very restictive. If you want "stock" car racing check out the SCCA. The SCCA still has a showroom stock series (see

). Modern day NASCAR racing suffers in comparison to the good old days - but then what doesn't.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

And next yr NASCAR will have "Toyota Camrys" in the field.

So I guess you will have to buy a Honda.

Reply to
Ron

Yes and THAT Camry will be RWD and have a FORD 9" rear like all of the others. Unlike the eight out of ten Camrys sold in the US, with a 4 Cyl engine, THAT Camry will be able to get out of its own way LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Maybe you do but it wouldn't put this many butts in the seats or even warrant a TV contract.

Real stock? Go watch your Saturday nite hobby stocks.....pffft!

Reply to
The Other Doug

Who are entering cars in the 2007 season. Maybe they're sick of selling cars in the US too...

Reply to
Abo

Thats basically the original point being made...its no longer no where near stock. Of course it didnt happen over night it was a progression as you say which has become what we see now...a phoney stock car only the rich can afford to drive.

Reply to
Homie Jay Simpson

Thats even phonier because it no longer is national, but international. Lets see how long it takes them to become INTERSCAR and dump the NASCAR.

Reply to
Homie Jay Simpson

I would rather see a stock car wreck at 120 mph anyday that to see a cage flipping across the track at 165 knowing the driver will walk away without a scratch. I want to bent metal not paper thin tin.

Reply to
Homie Jay Simpson

We? YOU don't speak for us spectators !!!

Reply to
Four-Time

You must have been very happy watching that race back on 2-18-2001, and every other race before that where drivers were killed or severely injured.

Reply to
Sucks-2-B-U

Yet people still buy things (not just cars) that they see at NASCAR (it should be in all CAPs, because it is an acronym) because they see it at NASCAR. A lot of people buy things just because it has the NASCAR name associated with it (or NBA, MLB, NCAA, NFL, etc.).

Incorrect. People can still race in other types of racing and work their way up to Nextel Cup racing.

People can still get killed. But I much prefer that they don't.

The excitement is still there. The risk is less, but driving at 200 MPH is not safe, even now. But I am glad it is safer.

Last I checked, there are very few cars that can go around a track at 150 MPH at the showroom. And even fewer that are safe doing so.

Stop watching NASCAR and go to your local track, then.

Funny, Toyota will be a Busch series and Nextel Cup sponsor next year with Toyotae in the races. And they are racing the trucks now.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Heh - the good old days! I think the Wood Brothers actually rented a car from Avis or Hertz and ran it at Riverside in the 60's. It was too much trouble to haul a car from Stuart, VA to California.

Personally I'm totally anti-parity, all the way. I think 1988 was the end of the world, basically. GM stopped making V8 rear drive sedans, but NASCAR allowed them to keep racing using a fully fictional car. That was the last step into oblivion.

There is showroom stock racing going on, and less modified forms of racing. You may have to get out of your recliner to see it, though.

Reply to
Joe

Let go of your dork and pick up the remote..... flip over to homogarden TV and watch all those nice designer folks....

There are many bone stock or near bone stock series being run... probably many may be close to your home. Notice that these races don't fill the stands to capacity. Notice that millions and millions aren't spent on advertising.... notice that there are no TV cameras... Somehow, a trackside shot of cars going 78 mph just wont be real exciting.

While the sanctioning body remains to be NASCAR, we have seen the evolution of these cars over the years... They are safer now than they have ever been... There is an amazing amount of technology involved (nearly 1000 HP from a 358 inch engine running a spec carburettor)... but this is what the cup cars have evolved to.

Next up... let's all bitch at John Force for having painted on headlights....

In the FWIW department.... Glenn Roberts and Tiny Lund are but two names that come to mind to lose their lives driving a "stock" car.... back then, a manufacturer simply had to homolgate a vehicle to qualify it to race (that meant build and offer 500 vehicles for sale to the public). Even with evolving levels of safety, drivers like Neil Bonnet, JD McDuffy and others have died in accidents that would be made only worse if these cars weren't purpose built.

Reply to
Jim Warman

True. Football should go back to the way it was too. Leather helmets, and real pigskin!

Reply to
freecoupons2005

Speaks for the majority.

Reply to
Homie Jay Simpson

You rarely hear NASCAR or the broadcasters refer to Nextel Cup Cars as "stock cars." They almost always call them "Cup" cars or "Busch" cars. The original poster was ranting about something that hasn't existed in 35+ years. NASCAR started down the slippery slope when they let Chrysler race the original hemi's - a special built race engine that wasn't available as a regular production engine for two years after it won the Daytona 500. Anyone that is ranting that NASCAR isn't like it used to be is either very old or very naive. When was the last time that you saw a reference to what N-A-S-C-A-R stands for? Heck the NASCAR web site even admits that the cars aren't "stock" cars (although occasionally they screw up and use the term). I copied the following from the NASCAR website "History" page:

"Throughout the 53-year history of NASCAR, the cars have been transformed from road-going, true "stock" cars into the sleek, technologically advanced machines that we see today"

Calling them technologically advanced is a little much in my opinion. Freezing the technology to the point that you are building highly refined

1972 Fords Torino "Stock Cars" and then calling the cars "technologically advanced machines" takes a lot of gall.

I was only grumbling that the original poster was about 40 years to late if he wanted to preserve "stock car racing."

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

It's too bad that it's a driver/team race now instead of also being a car race. The whole concept of racing different "stock" cars against each other is what is exciting in my book.

Reply to
SgtSilicon