Engine replaced, leaking oil, dented oil pan (was: How much is too much oil?)

Original thread at

before that.History: My original engine (97 tercel, 120,000km or 75,000 miles)sprung an oil leak and I burned it out. A used engine of similarmileage was put in, and it burned oil in well in excess of what mymechanic thought reasonable, as well as exuding a lung-aggravatingscentless fume. It has been replaced by a 2nd used engine of similarmileage, along with a new rear main seal. Prior to this 2ndreplacement, the 1st used engine also leaked at the rear main seal,enough to leave oil drops on the gound, and the oil smell wasoverpowering. Replacing the oil pan gasket seemed to reduced the oilfumes significantly; it didn't reduce the oil loss, and the scentlessaggravating fume was still present. The mechanic put in the 2nd engine because of the oil loss in the 1st one; I was more interested in getting rid of the aggravating fumes, which makes it impossible to drive without all windows down (bad in winter, rainy days, and hot days). The 2nd used engine doesn't lose oil at a significant rate, but there is an overpowering oil smell similar to that in the 1st used engine before the oil pan gasket was replaced. As well, there are oil drops on the ground. I had my 1st look underneath today, and saw some seepage at the rear main seal, and minor seepage at the front mail seal. The rear main seal is supposedly new. There is also 2-inch diameter dent in the oil pan, at the corner (so it bulges inward instead of outward). There is surface rust on the dent.

There is no significant oil loss in the 2nd engine, but I'm concerned about the impact from breathing the fumes from seeping oil on hot engine surface. Whenever I work out, I cough vigorously, and fellow exercisers remark (jokingly) that its from all my smoking (I don't smoke). I have been told that changing the rear & front main seals involve significant work. What is reasonable to expect of my mechanic, considering that the rear main seal is new, and it still leaks? I don't want to be unreasonable, but neither do I want to continue breathing the fumes. I can't tell whether the scentless aggravating fume has been eliminated when the overpowering oil fume is present. (It is also possible that the "scentless" aggravating fume in the 1st engine is really due to the a much smaller amount of engine oil smouldering compared to before the oil pan gasket was replaced).

What about the 2-inch dent in the oil pan? Is it it a minor issue to replace oil pan whent the rusty dent rusts through? Is it OK to ignore the possibility that the engine might have some other problem due to such an impact? Is it reasonable that I was not informed about this rather dramatic dent?

Thanks for your experienced opinions.

Reply to
Tercel Owner

I'm not sure if this changes the assessment of the situation, but in addition to the front and rear main seals, the oil pan plug also seeps.

Reply to
Tercel Owner

Is the oil leaking from the rusted spot or from the gasket? If oil is leaking from oil pan due to a rusted hole, the entire pan can be replaced or try some epoxy like J-B weld on the leak. If leaking due to warped pan, entire pan may need to be replaced. There is normally copper or alumin washer on oil pan plug that need to be replaced. Looks like you need to find the source of the other leaks. Check valve cover for oil leak, there is a gasket that is on the cover and a spark plug grommet that can cause oil to weep down the engine and hit the exhast manifold and cause smoking. I don't think a leak from oil pan can cause smoking, unless it is leaking on the exhaust manifold or pipe. Check the distributor for oil leaks, there is o-ring on the shaft that require periodic replacing. Real seal replacement can be costly. There are some engine additive and high mileage oil that is suppose to recondition the seals.

Reply to
jjjsan