Re: {{ OT }} Bodies ... the Exhibition

You're kidding of course?? How could the nervous system still be alive after many hours or a couple of days?

Reply to
dbu'

No, I don't think it's even supposed to be a form of entertainment. More like acquisition of knowledge; a better understanding of our own bodies. Granted, learning about a topic can be entertaining (as in interesting), but not in the same way you're using ther term, is my guess. We're not approaching this from the same angle, that's pretty obvious.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I sincerely hope I don't.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

It wasn't exactly as described. My mother died in June. In my dream I was at her autopsy. During the procedure she moved, looked at me, and said, "I want to go home." Those exact word were her last coherent sentence before she lapsed into a coma.

Not a pleasant dream.

Reply to
witfal

Ah...I see. No, that wasn't a good dream.

A close relative died a couple of months ago & was cremated; hence, my above reply.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

They're never really "dead" so to speak. They're electrical conductors, like wires. I don't know if it's heat/friction that causes it, or what. Haven't you heard of postmortem movement in a corpse? Happens all the time.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

"Cathy F." ...

Absolutely - there was nothing "entertaining" about it. I saw it as an educational experience. Science at its most fascinating, IMO.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

"witfal" "Cathy F." said: "Wickeddoll"

EGAD!

If it makes you feel any better, it was just your brain trying to cope with the loss (which you probably already know), but *dayum*, that's like a horror movie! Gives me the willies just reading this.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

Of course it is true, you read it on Usenet! BTW, Cathy, I've a bridge for sale... And it won't sit up and scream, either.

Sure it sits up and move around, just like that BigMac you had today for lunch moo'ed several times on the grill. Yea, that is right, that cow actaully tried to get off the grill several times. That's nothing you should see what happens at KFC! Those chicken parts running around, trying to get out, madness, I tell you, madness.

See, and this is all true, because it is on the Internet. Absolutely true. Dear Allat, I swear it. True. Really. Honest.

Reply to
PeterD

Oh, if only the restraining order didn't prevent me from seeing that exhibit again.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

The dream was even more graphic, and I've witheld details that just make it more horrible.

But, yes, I do know it's a coping mechanism. It's still something that makes me wish we had an erase button on our heads.

Reply to
witfal

You have a differing view? Post your experience.

If you have no proof against it, I suggest you STFU.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

Thanks for that!

Only politicians have that ability.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

In case you missed it, Peter, you just got schooled.

Reply to
witfal

True, dat.

Reply to
witfal

But no more than what it takes for rigor mortis to set in. A few hours at most.

Reply to
dbu'

Rigor is not permanent. It goes away after three or four days.

Reply to
witfal

Most who view this so called exhibit don't view it the same as you, from a purely scientific state of mind I would guess. It is a Saturday afternoon entertainment.

Reply to
dbu'

I re-read my original post, and realize I didn't mention that this description of cremation is *second-hand* A pathologist I knew in the 80s told me about it. If I had seen it myself, I would say so.

I can see how this reaction may happen, but I want to see whether this individual has some first-hand experience of his own.

The pathologist was a very brilliant and accomplished man - I see no reason for him to lie about that.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

"dbu'",

Um, it's not "so-called" - it really is an exhibit. Not sure why you'd say it wasn't. I mean, a horrible car accident is on display as well, but that would draw curious, maybe even ghoulish spectators.

Having said that, the folks I saw seemed to be in awe, rather than morbidly curious, but since I can't read minds, I can't be sure.

:-)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll