Now that wasn't too bad....

After my weekend away searching for a new house in South Wales, I sat down tonight to work out my average mpg for the weekend, only to be
pleasantly surprised.
I've returned a frankly breathtaking 38mpg!
I can live with that from a large sports saloon.
http://www.italiancar.co.uk - Honda VFR800

I'd be pleased to get that from a supermini. Really should sort that binding caliper...

It's just the design superiority of the Alfa twin-spark lump over the ratty old Kent, see ;-)
http://www.italiancar.co.uk - Honda VFR800

binding
Is that the Alfa Twin Spark "oil burner" lump then?
I know Alfa engines sound nice and perform well and are more modern than the venerable kent but they can be a bit prima-donna ish... -- James

Nah - the oil burners are the Fiat-based twinsparks (ie. Fiat block with Alfa TS head). Mine is the Real McCoy, 1950s designed 'classic' Alfa Twin-cam with only 8 valves. And it doesn't burn any significant amount of oil (bearing in mind it's 113k miles).
Bloody solid lumps they are. <touch wood>
http://www.italiancar.co.uk - Honda VFR800

I once got the 405 in the 40's :)
Pride :)
It was when i'd just got it, i did a 200+ mile run.
Nowadays i get nowhere near that...
--
Dan

I was working on the theory that I shouldn't go too far out of the 'green' sector on the rev-counter. Seemed to work - as I thought it would.
I was avoiding the 'wild' cam profile kicking in.
http://www.italiancar.co.uk - Honda VFR800

I once got high 14's out of the Saab
Pride ;-)

Wow - first you thought my 405 was an Mi16, now you think its worthy enough to compare to the Saab :)
Now this IS *pride*
//sits back and grins - then decides its 3:00am, and having just typed a 2,113 word essay, he should go to bed//
--
Dan

enough
What? You could have got a few hours of drinking in!! Bad form old chap. Students arent what they used to be in my day ;)

I did have to be in at 9am! And everyone else was in bed. But fair play, i should've really got a few hours of drinking in.
I was gonna take the 106 out for some fun as there was a very heavy frost last night ;)
--
Dan

You were no longer in South Wales?
*grin*
Anyway, 46mpg out of my old Golf GTI. Brilliant cars. Compared to 25 from my Senator, and 31ish from the 306 (but on the rare occasions that I can bring myself to drive it, I thrash the nuts off it in the hope that the contract hire firm end up with a real dog).
Roll on April and an MX-5...
Richard
--
306 Cabrio - reliable, topless, fast - yet boring... |\ _,,,---,,_
Citroen XM Exclusive - still awaiting repairs. /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,

Heh.
Hairdresser ;-) I'm sure the 33 would get more, but I really am impressed with the 75 - for the size of car and the state of tune of the engine, especially given the age of the basic design, I think it's quite impressive. It's certainly better than my old 16v Boxer would have delivered on the same journey.
http://www.italiancar.co.uk - Honda VFR800
dipped their finger in oil and wrote:

that better be a BBR converted MX 5 or you shoulda got an MR2 (the better car IMO) :)

Whilst both are classed as hairdresser cars, the Mk1 MR2 doesn't remotely compare to the MX5, which is a superb car.
--
Lordy

Purely out of interest, where in South Wales were you looking for a house? Not near Cardiff/Newport?

Aberdare / Merthyr Tydfil.
http://www.italiancar.co.uk - Honda VFR800

house?
Not the Gurnos estate per chance?

I may have a slightly iffy collection of shite old bangers in my sig, but I'm looking somewhere a tad more upmarket than that ;-)
http://www.italiancar.co.uk - Honda VFR800

sat
be
Lol, sorry, its all a bit close to where I live, although Wales is a bit like that 8-)