Now that wasn't too bad....

After my weekend away searching for a new house in South Wales, I sat down tonight to work out my average mpg for the weekend, only to be pleasantly surprised.

I've returned a frankly breathtaking 38mpg!

I can live with that from a large sports saloon.

Reply to
SteveH

I'd be pleased to get that from a supermini. Really should sort that binding caliper...

Reply to
Doki

It's just the design superiority of the Alfa twin-spark lump over the ratty old Kent, see ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

I once got the 405 in the 40's :)

Pride :)

It was when i'd just got it, i did a 200+ mile run.

Nowadays i get nowhere near that...

Reply to
Dan405

I was working on the theory that I shouldn't go too far out of the 'green' sector on the rev-counter. Seemed to work - as I thought it would.

I was avoiding the 'wild' cam profile kicking in.

Reply to
SteveH

I once got high 14's out of the Saab

Pride ;-)

Reply to
**-**

Wow - first you thought my 405 was an Mi16, now you think its worthy enough to compare to the Saab :)

Now this IS *pride*

//sits back and grins - then decides its 3:00am, and having just typed a

2,113 word essay, he should go to bed//
Reply to
Dan405

You were no longer in South Wales?

*grin*

Anyway, 46mpg out of my old Golf GTI. Brilliant cars. Compared to 25 from my Senator, and 31ish from the 306 (but on the rare occasions that I can bring myself to drive it, I thrash the nuts off it in the hope that the contract hire firm end up with a real dog).

Roll on April and an MX-5...

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Heh.

Hairdresser ;-) I'm sure the 33 would get more, but I really am impressed with the 75 - for the size of car and the state of tune of the engine, especially given the age of the basic design, I think it's quite impressive. It's certainly better than my old 16v Boxer would have delivered on the same journey.

Reply to
SteveH

Is that the Alfa Twin Spark "oil burner" lump then?

I know Alfa engines sound nice and perform well and are more modern than the venerable kent but they can be a bit prima-donna ish...

-- James

Reply to
James

Nah - the oil burners are the Fiat-based twinsparks (ie. Fiat block with Alfa TS head). Mine is the Real McCoy, 1950s designed 'classic' Alfa Twin-cam with only

8 valves. And it doesn't burn any significant amount of oil (bearing in mind it's 113k miles).

Bloody solid lumps they are.

Reply to
SteveH

What? You could have got a few hours of drinking in!! Bad form old chap. Students arent what they used to be in my day ;)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I did have to be in at 9am! And everyone else was in bed. But fair play, i should've really got a few hours of drinking in.

I was gonna take the 106 out for some fun as there was a very heavy frost last night ;)

Reply to
Dan405

that better be a BBR converted MX 5 or you shoulda got an MR2 (the better car IMO) :)

Reply to
Vamp

Aberdare / Merthyr Tydfil.

Reply to
SteveH

Purely out of interest, where in South Wales were you looking for a house? Not near Cardiff/Newport?

Reply to
me*g

Not the Gurnos estate per chance?

Reply to
me*g

Whilst both are classed as hairdresser cars, the Mk1 MR2 doesn't remotely compare to the MX5, which is a superb car.

Reply to
Lordy

I may have a slightly iffy collection of s**te old bangers in my sig, but I'm looking somewhere a tad more upmarket than that ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

"Like robocop but set in Aberdare." GLC are fantastic.

PS: I doubt anyone will have any idea what this post is about.

Reply to
Doki