Re: Toyota Cresedia 1985 6cyl EFI runs rough 5cylinders

> CyBorg 0091 wrote:

> >> A friend has a toyota 6 cyl EFI about 85 that started running rough > >> like the 6th cyl is doing nothing. > > >> The question is what is its problem,Its got spark at the 6th cylinder > >> but seems to refuse tofire on that cylinder. > > >> A guy said had a falcon EA which had similar problems and it was a > >> plastic timing bush or gear at the base of the distributor. > > >> The guy with the Toyota is too subborn to put it on the machine for > >> $120 to find out whats its problem is. > > >> What do ya recon someone else that looked at it started screaming > >> valves sticking etc. > >> seems unlikely. > > >> help > > > If you pose this question on =A0alt.autos.toyota =A0you will probably g= et an > > answer > > This might help > >
Hi=de quoted text - > > - Show quoted text -

Thanks

Reply to
jjbruce

quoted text -

Let him drive around with 5 cylinders or it could be bad fuel injector, or spark plug for that cylinder, or a burned valve, or a missing piston.

Reply to
Fat Moe

24 yrs old. It could be alot of stuff. Does it idle smooth and miss on aceleration.
Reply to
ransley

quoted text -

How would a broken url help I was just showing him how to read the computer fault codes for his model with the urls that I provided

Reply to
F Murtz

Thanks

************* Check for oil-fouled plugs. The gasket for the spark plug tube can leak, allowing oil to get in.
Reply to
Ray O

Yeah this is it

Have checked injector wireing got a good plug and run the engine with the plug out watching it spark

seems not to be bruning the fuel on number 6

The problem came on in a gradual process,starting as a slight hicup a year ago and slowly leading to running on 5

Reply to
jjbruce

yes idles smooth and and miss on accleration,and is automatic

A local garage took a running well toyota hilux 4x2 auto 4cyl (different car) and tunned it up fixing some tappet noise in order to tune next thing when it was engaded in drive it started to run rough and almost stall.

Reply to
jjbruce

All the plugs looked grey except number 6 which was black and damp

Reply to
jjbruce

All the plugs looked grey except number 6 which was black and damp

************************ Sounds like the spark plug tube gasket is leaking. Clean the spark plug with carburetor or brake cleaner, making sure not to bend or damage the electrode. While you let the spark air dry, stuff a paper towel or rag down the spark plug tube to soak up the oil pooled in the tube. The engine should run better until more oil leaks into the tube. A permanent fix involves removing the valve cover and replacing the gasket on the tube.
Reply to
Ray O

Now this is pretty basic. Have you tried a new plug? =20

Al

--=20 I don't take sides.=20 It's more fun to insult everyone.=20

Albm&ctd

In message , Albm&ctd writes

This was a symptom of the failed head gasket on my '88 supra at 54000 miles. (no six did pick-up above idle.It actually passed the emissions test!)

Reply to
Neil J. Harris