1985 cabriolet - runs rough, market value?

    hi all;
    i have a few questions about my 1985 vw cabriolet. i've had this     car for about five years, i picked it up in florida and drove it
    back to ohio where i currently live. has about 140k miles, as far     as i know original everything as far as the engine, electronics,     and fuel system go.
    over the past three years, the car has been parked as the rear     shocks are gone to the point where it's undriveable, and also it's     developed a stumble/stall on throttle tip-in, hot or cold. the car     starts just fine, i just pulled it out of the garage and it started     on the first try after sitting six months. however, as soon as you     hit the gas, the engine will drop in RPM, possibly stall if you're     too aggressive. if you feather the throttle, you can build the RPMs     until the engine gets to about 3-4k at which point it runs strongly.
    it's just when you open the throttle that it stumbles.
    any ideas? fuel pump going perhaps?
    also, since i am leaving ohio, i have to put the car on    the market.     can anyone comment as to it's approximate value? i paid    $1000 or so     in florida, and spent probably close to that again on:
    - new driveshafts     - new power steering pump     - exhaust     - battery, various bits + pieces          i've replaced the headlamps, taillamp clusters, front seats, door     handles, various other bits. the body is totally solid, the car     has never been winter driven, there are a few rust spots on the     *top* of the body from florida (sea salt, i guess) that need to be     sanded out and repainted.
    it's white, white top, and white painted 'tarantula' 9-spoke alloys.
    pictures here: http://photos.futureconsortium.com/tfc-cars          thanks in advance for any input :)
    regards,     geekboy

www.kbb.com
Ears wrote:

    kelley's blue book goes back to 1987, smartass. that's     because the value of classic cars can't be derived from     some complicated algorithm.
    KBB is a joke, anyway. if you want something that actually     comes close to MARKET value, go to edmunds.com.
    i guess i'm stuck attempting to calculate replacement cost,     as i have been.
    geekboy
It is just that market value varies so much with a car likes yours. $0-4000 Factors like location, color, condition, options, recent repairs/upgrades, etc. also affect price.
Ebay might show bids on similar '85 Cabriolets. So look there.
I have had an '88 Cabriolet (bad engine) given to me so like I said prices/values vary! 8-) I have seen running ones range from $700 up to just over $3000 here in Chicago.
--
later,
dave

    thanks guys! those were both great answers. i'm going to get     it running and drive it around again, see if i can bear to     part with it :)
    regards,     geekboy