Re: Toyota Prius on snow

To owners of 2004/2005 Toyota Prius,

> > I'm shopping for a new car, and 2005 Toyota Prius is one of the > candidates. So far, there are many good reviews about this car. I'd > like to get some of your opinions here. > > 1. Do you have any problem driving your 2004/2005 Prius on snow. > > In particular, the following complaint kinda scares me. I'm just > wondering if this is a general problem. > >

> "it hesitates so bad, that it becomes even dangerous. when you> accelerate (in snow), it looks like the electric motor for some reason> does not allow the gas engine to kick in and hesitates really bad, I> can't emphasized enough how bad it is. To the point that it takes such> a long time to pick up speed, that is literally dangerous to pull over > a highway" > I recently (a few months ago) drove through snow country in northern California and Oregon. We hit snow a few minor storms while on highway 1. The Prius did a great job.

The experience described above is not normal.

The traction control and CVT (continuously variable transmission) worked great when we drove with an inch of snow sticking to the roadway. The CVT means there's no gear changes (and associated lurching) as the car tackles the up and down hill stretches. I found that it was extremely sure footed.

I did not drive it in deeper snow, since I'm a central California kid.

Reply to
dbs__usenet

>> > "it hesitates so bad, that it becomes even dangerous. when you> > accelerate (in snow), it looks like the electric motor for some reason> > does not allow the gas engine to kick in and hesitates really bad, I> > can't emphasized enough how bad it is. To the point that it takes such> > a long time to pick up speed, that is literally dangerous to pull over > > a highway"> >

I can add to this as well. Drove to Bryce, Zion and Grand Canyon from CA in winter. The car handled the snow (1-2") and the elevation without any problems (loaded with 4 people). Returned over 45 mpg on the 2000+ mile trip. The traction, vehicle skid control and lack of a shifting transmission gives it a sure footing in slippery/icy conditions. I have read that it is better to gun the accelerator than gently accelerate if traction is a problem, the car will pull itself out of such conditions. This is from people who live in the midwest who are used to seeing much more snow than I do.

Reply to
S Narayan

In article , "S Narayan" wrote: >I have read that it is

This is true with any front wheel drive vehicle. It takes a special driver skill to maintain control in glare ice conditions and try to stop at the same time with a front wheel drive. The only thing that will save the average driver is anti lock brakes.

Reply to
Dbu^

The original poster was talking about accelerating from a stop. The (T)raction (C)ontrol and (V)ehicle (S)kid (C)ontrol will not allow the car to spin its tyres under such slippery conditions. If I tried this in my non TC, non VSC FWD Integra, I would be spinning my tyres, going nowhere.

Reply to
S Narayan

Frankly, I wouldnt have one of them battery cars, seems like a lot of money spent for little return. Enjoy anyhoo, you're doing some part to save earth....LOL

Reply to
Dbu^