What's your opinion on Toyota prius?

great mileage in the city/stop-and-go but no better than about a half dozen other vehicles on the highway

some rescue crews may not be trained on how to cut you outta one after a wreck without shorting out the batteries

I think you get a tax break if you buy one.

Only the dealer can do any work on it.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

In spite of your reputation, it's a good question. In CA, I believe you get a 100,000 mile/10 year warranty on batteries but in the real world (rest of the country), it's something like 70.000/7. OK if you do a lot of driving but once past warranty and if batteries need replacement, you might as well junk it since new batteries will cost a fortune. Fuel cost savings need be balanced with extra cost. You can get a similar size "shit box" for far less money and also get good mileage ;) Frank

Reply to
Frank

Oh, Frankie, why are you still pouting?

My friend, a Mechanical Engineer with concerns for environment and fuel shortage, would love it to hear that his car is a "shit" box; he does drive a lot. I, OTOH, feel great that I didn't make a mistake and won't feel guilty anymore. Thank you Frankie for making me feel not guilty.

Reply to
amanda

Hmm..that's different from what my friend told me yesterday on the phone after I told him about not do positive comments I read in an article 2 years ago

I hope I never get into that kind of wreck even in any car.

He said that here in this state, one can also use carpool lane driving alone.

I should tell him that. He probably knows lready.

Reply to
amanda

Frank,

Actually, Toyota warrants the hybrid battery for 8 years, 100k miles except in California and several states in the northeast that have adopted California rules where the battery warranty is, I believe, 10 years and 150k miles.

I am in Northern Virginia and have a 2004 Prius. And it is not just a question of battery replacement -- failed high-tech components such as the multifunction display can be VERY expensive.

As this topic is unrealted to Subarus, I suggest that the OP and anyone who is seriouls interested, visit

and/or the Prius-2G group at yahoogroups.com . Much, if not most, of what is written about hybrids in the mainstream press is slanted or under-informed. For example, hybrid gas mileage is very much a factor of typical driving trips and driving style. Many owners achieve mileage in the upper 50s and other average much less. In one experiement, 5 guys drove a test loop continuously to see how far they could go on one tank of gas and achieved over 109 mpg!!! With over

60k miles, my 2004 varies between about 46 and 53 mpg.

Ed P

Reply to
Ed P

Ed P wrote: i

It has been a few years but Googling, Prius battery replacement cost, came up with something like $7,000/Australian. I've seen a lot of the articles you mentioned. I met one owner that drives maybe 50,000 miles/year and she loves it. Me, I'm a buy and holder and low miles/year so it would be a bad investment. Frank

Reply to
Frank

Its not a Subaru. So my opinion is "meh".

Why not try your post on the Toyota groups?

Reply to
Ragnar

S/he must be of low opinion of Toyota owners. Do you concur?

Reply to
Body Roll

She apparently owns a Subaru. She also pesters sci.chem now and then. Hate to think I'm a fellow chemist/Subaru owner. Like looking into the Subaru that drives past you and seeing the driver is a weirdo ;) Frank

Reply to
frank.logullo

Its the same Stump-Stupid Amanda......if you google her IP address you can see the other garbage she posts ALL over the internet. This is the same bitch that asked for your advice and insight on Subaru's..then argued with you about them. The same one that the dealer wanted to choke out......here she goes again!

Reply to
Porgy Tirebiter

The in laws have a 2003 Prius, a Land Rover, and a 2002 Legacy GT wagon.

They usually drive the Prius. They REALLY like that car. The wagon only comes out when they need the space or tow the utility trailer. The Prius is no WRX, but it's a great daily driver for them. FWIW, they are retired Haz-mat business owners who can afford anything they want...

I tossed my '01 OBW for an '05 Tacoma. The only reason I stay with this NG is because I keep up on the maintainence on the above mentioned '02 GT wagon.

Reply to
Bonehenge

...but is she **hot**?

:-P

Reply to
CompUser

No. I simply don't own one and have no basis for opinion.

Reply to
Ragnar

Thank you for expressing your apparent interest in the position of "group shit-stirrer". While we find your credentials to be somewhat well written, please be aware that we currently don't have openings for more in this position. We have your information on file and will contact you should an opening occur.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Showing how your shit brain works?

All of the loser shit brains who were on the edge to show how their shit brain works uses an excuse to show their shit brains'functions and you not seeing that only show that you are the master shit brain.

Reply to
amanda

Told ya you'd be back. Some gals just love men that beat them up ;) Frank

Reply to
Frank

Just showing that this girl don't take crap from men. What's your excuse for tailgating me? Go make a bomb and blow yourself up.

Reply to
amanda

Like you're really a girl...

Reply to