Really *long-lasting* domestic car!

dunno......... my dad had a 57 Plymouth, it was my first ride. I was born in

1959

NO seatbelts in his 4-door Belvedere

Reply to
mark

The Escort and Maverick

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Hmmm, I don't remember us having seat belts in the 55 Plymouth, but then I was 6 years old when we sold it.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

You got that right! Many years ago (about 40) I had an occasional girl friend who wrote me with condolences about my father's death, and mentioned that her mother had been in an accident, riding in a small Datsun truck as a passenger, and when the truck collided with another vehicle, she had gone through the windshield face-first, and wound up with something like 6,000 (!) sutures in her face and upper body. After her letter, I never again turned on the ignition without strapping in first.

Reply to
mack

More info on that car:

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Are you kidding?!

The Escort was *huge*, both in the US and England!

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"mack" ...

She's very fortunate that all she had were sutures! Every time I hear about a fatal crash with the victim "ejected" from the vehicle, I just want to scream.

Yes, there is the rare instance that the seat belt hurt, rather than harmed the person, but the odd of that are astronomical.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I've never been one to like the govt. telling me what to do but I started wearing seat belts LONG before it was mandatory in Alberta. Reason? To save my OWN sorry ass. It only makes sense to wear seat belts period. It takes only a second to buckle or unbuckle.

Reply to
sharx35

Another plus of seat belts is that it keeps the driver in position to control the car if something terrible happens....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

huge mistake.....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

"Scott in Florida"... "Wickeddoll®" "...

Sez you - everyone I know who owned one loved it.

:-P

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Another contender from the mists of time: The PINTO!!!!

Everyone I know who had one considered themselves lucky to be former owners (of course, my sample population is only four)

Reply to
tak

Is that the same model and year of car that was possessed in "Christine?"

Reply to
dh

I did not dislike my Escort.

It was just a repair nightmare.

Air Conditioning

Transmission

Timing Belts

Burned Oil

It was a nice car except for the maintenance headache.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I had a Pinto Wagon and loved it.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

"tak" ...

BOOM!

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"dh" ...

Nope - that was a 1958 Plymouth Fury.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

See. What do *you* know?!

:-)

Natalie, snipping Scott's long-assed sign line

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Forward looking Ford attempt at more fuel conservative vehicles. I cannot fault Ford for that. No car is 100 percent safe. The Volkswagon beetle is an example. It was a great car, user maintainable, fuel efficient and affordable, but was sunk because of safety regulations.

Reply to
dbu,.

I was in a rollover in 1967, California, lap belts only and both the driver and me stayed in the car even though both doors were sprung wide open. We would both have been ejected without doubt and who knows what would have happened. I am a firm believer in seat belts regardless of any laws. I wear them and insist the passengers buckle up before I move the vehicle. Seat belts are 1000 percent better than in 1967.

Reply to
dbu,.