rear defogger / average mpg

Bought a used 2004 Camry 2.4 XLE with 80K miles last week. It rides nice and is quiet. There are two minor things about it that bother me.

  1. The digital readout for the average mpg has steadily risen from
28.0 to 28.9 since I've owned it. After filling up today and doing the calculation of miles driven divided by gallons pumped I came up with 24.7 mpg. Why such a disparity?

  1. The rear defogger seems quite anemic to me. We haven't had much frost but it can't seem to clear even dew from the back window in the ten minutes or so to work. I mean there's no separation occurring between the filaments at all. The thing is on and you can see it barely working, but its weak and slow.

Reply to
badgolferman

Does the computer ask you how many gallons since last fillup? If not I guess it's just estimating...

Did you change the air filter, by the way?

Dew is probably harder to remove than fog...

Michael

Reply to
Michael

The amount of fuel today you put in left it at a higher level than it was last time. Perhaps the car was tiltled, the shut off on the pump was triggered later or something.

Maybe you need a new one. What did the previous owner say?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff